Forum Discussion

10 years ago

duplication to tape

Hello, 

I am running Netbackup 7.6.0.1 and I configured MSDP diskpools, all the backups go to disk. Later it is duplicated to tape. But there is my problem. Duplication is very slow and it never ends. Sometimes I have more then 100 jobs in that queue which never seem to go so I just cancel them. Is it not possible to have more then one duplication jobs to the same tapedrive? My library has only one tapedrive. Also I see that the tape gets mounted over 100 times and they are in use for just a month. Is there a way to speed up the duplication process? 

I always thought the images in a MSDP-pool are optimized and they should go to tape fast. 

Any thoughts? 

Regards,

Rob

15 Replies

• Yes - duplicating to MSDP within the appliance will capture a 'de-dupe' copy.

If you enable client side de-dupe on the client then only new different blocks will be sent via LAN/WAN to MSDP server.

If you do not enable client-side de-dupe then all data of a full backup will be sent to the MSDP server (via LAN/WAN) which will do the de-dupe discard of already known blocks.

• What I did was, I made a full accelerated backup at the remote location, with client-side dedup enabled. 
    Then I brought the mobile media server to our datacenter. 
    Next step was duplicate the backup-images with this command

bpduplicate -backupid <BACKUID> -dstunit <STORAGE_UNIT_DATACENTER>

The policy is configured to write to this STU in the datacenter. Now I started the policy to see if it works. 
    But in the log I see this "There is no complete backup image match with track journal, a regular full backup will be performed." 

But it looks like not much data is going over the line. Because only the counter of "Current files written" is going up. None of the other counters is going up, not "Current Kilobytes Written, not "KB/Sec" 

So it looks it somehow works, what do you think? I am a bit worried about that message that it's going to do a full. 

• Sounds like your plan is working Rob.  Fingers crossed it goes as planned.

If client side de-dupe is enabled (i.e. not disabled in policy, and the master server 'Client Attributes' for the client name is either 'Prefer to use client side deduplication' (and the required ports are open) or is 'Always use client-side deduplication' (which will fail if the required ports are not open) - then not much of anything should actually go over the wire.

Whenever a client is added to a new policy name (and this includes the action of deleting the client name and re-adding the same name back to the same policy) - then NetBackup considers the situation as a full backup is required.  No avoiding it.

• This looks like what I tried to do, it looks pretty complicated and I need to do some thorough reading. 
    For this time it is to late, I allready went to the remote site and made a backup and I brought this backup to our datacenter. The first backup I did took 38 hours for one server. The next took about an hour. This was one of the two servers at the remote site, the other server has about 5 times more data. Estimating that would take 200 hours to finish. :( the only benefit I see now is the depuplication. The backup of the first client only sent about half the amount of data. 

Or would it be posible to speed it up without going to the remote site again?