Forum Discussion

15 years ago

ERROR: socket read failed

Hi everyone

This is my first post here, so please be nice :)

We are running NetBackup 6.5.3.1 on our master server.
Clients is also running same version.

In general it's working like it should, but a few clients are giving the above error, when I try to open the restore option from the client. "ERROR: socket read failed.
Client can resolve the master server by name, and master server, can resolve client by name.
I reinstalled the client, several times but still get the same error.

In trubleshooting I set Debug level to max on all possible options, General, Verbose, TCP, Flush and Database.

In the NBwin log I find this.

9:48:27.336 AM: [5048.3400] <2> dtcp_read: TCP - success: recv socket (416), 14 of 14 bytes
9:48:29.148 AM: [5048.3400] <16> dtcp_read: TCP - failure: recv socket (416) (TCP 10054: Connection reset by peer)
9:48:29.148 AM: [5048.3400] <2> dtcp_close: TCP - success: close socket (416)
9:49:58.836 AM: [5048.3400] <4> ov_log::OVClose: INF - Closing log file: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\NBWIN\090809.LOG

Maybe this could be the reason?

In nbconsole log I find this.

09:46:27.883 [4520.5888] <4> NBAuthenticate: Authentication complete...
09:48:20.523 [5048.3400] <4> NBAuthenticate: Authenticating...
09:48:20.523 [5048.3400] <4> NBAuthenticate: Attempting single sign on...
09:48:20.523 [5048.3400] <4> NBAuthenticate: GetConnection...
09:48:20.523 [5048.3400] <4> NBAuthenticate: Got the config info...
09:48:20.523 [5048.3400] <4> NBAuthenticate: VxSS is Prohibited...
09:48:20.523 [5048.3400] <4> NBAuthenticate: Unable to connect but VxSS is prohibitted or automatic, so continue...

Maybe this is the reason?

I hope you can help.

/Stefan

• OK...

Problem is solved

For reasons unknown, the network was working fine when resolving the Master Server.
    But the servers has four NIC's. Management NIC is configured with no gateway, but is using the gateway of the NIC connected to the internet.
    This is one reason for server not being able to connect to Master Server.

On the servers there are static routes, connecting the right adapter with the right networks, and by adding a persistant route to the backup network, and now I can open connection to backups from client.

This offcourse should have been done in the first place, but now I know, and will not be doing the same error again.

But it puzzles me why some of the servers work, and some other dont?

Thanks for the suggestions!

5 Replies

• Yes there is a firewall, but there are several servers in the IP segment, and they can all reach the master server, using the restore option.
    But a few are not able to open the restore option.

From Master Server it's possible to open Host Properties...

• OK...

Problem is solved

For reasons unknown, the network was working fine when resolving the Master Server.
    But the servers has four NIC's. Management NIC is configured with no gateway, but is using the gateway of the NIC connected to the internet.
    This is one reason for server not being able to connect to Master Server.

On the servers there are static routes, connecting the right adapter with the right networks, and by adding a persistant route to the backup network, and now I can open connection to backups from client.

This offcourse should have been done in the first place, but now I know, and will not be doing the same error again.

But it puzzles me why some of the servers work, and some other dont?

Thanks for the suggestions!

• And welcome to connect.

Can you also perform IP to name resoloution (reverse lookup) ?.

If not  try setting:

REVERSE_NAME_LOOKUP = RESTRICTED in bp.conf for UNIX host

or   "bpclntcmd -reverse_name_lookup restricted" for Windows clients.

You must likevise set that setting on the master server (GUI -> Host properties -> Master server -> Properties -> Network settings -> Set to "restricted" ).