Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Exclude List

*** Moved to new discussion from: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/excluding-sql-files-file-level-windows-backup ***

I have the following exclusions:

*.ldf

*.mdf

*.ldf

However, in my job details i see:

7/22/2013 9:24:34 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=26816) from client vsdb02: WRN - can't open file: E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\master.mdf (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )
7/22/2013 9:24:34 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=26816) from client vsdb02: WRN - can't open file: E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\mastlog.ldf (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )
7/22/2013 9:24:34 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=26816) from client vsdb02: WRN - can't open file: E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\model.mdf (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

I cant find any of the specified file types when attempting a restore, so i assuming bptm is generating this WRN prior to exclusions being applied via bpbkar.

Please advise if my logic is fail. 
  • I see that you have two exclude lists for this client.

The first is set as all policies / schedules and contains:

Exclude = *.bak
    Exclude = *.ldf
    Exclude = *.mdf
    Exclude = *.ndf
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\*
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\misc\*
    Exclude = C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\*
    Exclude = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NtmsData\NTMSDATA
    Exclude = E:\Prosolv Database

The second is set for the policy Windows-SQL-OS and contains:

Exclude = F:\
    Exclude = O:\
    Exclude = S:\
    OTM_Exclude = 0
    VSP_Exclude =
    Case_Sensitive_Exclude_List = NO

So *.ldf, *.mdf etc. will only excluded for policies not named Windows-SQL-OS.

When you run Windows-SQL-OS it will not exclude them - they need to be copied to the exclude list for that policy too if they are to be used

Hope this helps