Forum Discussion

Toddman214
Level 6
11 years ago

Exclusion list seems to be ignoring my entries

Hello all,

Master and media servers - Windows 2008 R2

Netbackup 7.5.0.4

I'm going through our environment, and trying to configure the database server OS-level backups to exclude the database files. Right now, many of them are including the db files, and its a huge waste of resources. If it makes a difference, I'm focusing on SQL database servers. We run an OS file-level backup on the Windows SQL servers themselves (some physical, some virtual), and a separate sql backup policy backs up the databases. Ive researched similar issues that other folks have had, but havent seen a solution that matches my particular issue.

Below is what I have in the exclusion list for the server I'm currently trying to address. The policy I am focusing on the one below named "VM_ONE-TIME_BACKUP". Its just a test plicy I use. As you can see, I've tried using the "*" wildcard in upper and lower case, and tried to exclude the entire volumes containing those database files, but the backup was still 600gb. This backup should not be over 40gb or so. Supposedly, this was addressed in version 7.1, so there may be something else wrong, as this is the first time I've really gotten in and started configuring exclusions.

Below is what is currently listed in the exclusion for both the client settings in the GUI, and in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Exclude

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*
C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\misc\*
CLASS:PROD_VM_FARM-XXXXXX
*.ldf
*.LDF
*.mdf
*.MDF
*.ndf
*.NDF
CLASS:VM_ONE-TIME_BACKUP
*.ldf
*.LDF
*.MDF
*.mdf
*.ndf
*.NDF
L:\
S:\
T:\
U:\

Please let me know if there is something I am missing, or if this is a known issue. FYI......This perticular client is a VM. I set the same configuration on one of the physical database servers, and the exclusions worked.

Thanks all,

Todd

• Oh!  Sounds like offhost backup in which case Exclude list will not work.  So we're back to square one -- install the NetBackup Client and run Windows backup with Exclude List or setup VMware Policy with Exclude data disks. 

14 Replies