Forum Discussion

Stanleyj
Level 6
9 years ago

External server backups

I've been fortunate enough to only have to worry about data that is internal to our network but we are about to deploy an external web presence that is going to include an IIS and SQL server in an external domain.  I am being told that the sql server will need hourly backups due to it containing transaction data that does not get transferred to the internal network until the end of each day.

So i am trying to figure out how to accomplish backing this data up without (my portion) creating a security issue comming back into the private network.  We have already chatted with cisco and microsoft on securing the transfer of the sql data but the backup side of things was not discussed.

I worry about putting a client on the sql server and then opening the common ports so that it can talk to my netbackup system.  Its not necessarily the data i am worried about comprimising, but more the connections i will have open internally.

• What about installing a minimum Netbackup installation into the DMZ ?

If the firewall isn't designed for backup loads it will likely also suffer if you start pulling backup across the network.

Yes, one backup server for  two servers may sound overkill, but when server number 3, 4, 6 and 8 are installed in the DMZ, its makes perfectly sense. Call it "getting the infrastructure right first time" :-)

Best Regards

Nicolai

1 Reply

• What about installing a minimum Netbackup installation into the DMZ ?

If the firewall isn't designed for backup loads it will likely also suffer if you start pulling backup across the network.

Yes, one backup server for  two servers may sound overkill, but when server number 3, 4, 6 and 8 are installed in the DMZ, its makes perfectly sense. Call it "getting the infrastructure right first time" :-)

Best Regards

Nicolai