Forum Discussion

ErwinVreys
Level 4
10 years ago

Force full backup to other day in backup window

Dear All, I have some full VM (hyper-V) backups which end on error 196 every week on the same day (Monday night). The easiest solution is to change the backup window but I have plenty of backup wi...
    10 years ago

All,

My apologies for not answering anymore. I became ill that day and had to stay home for a couple of days to recover. Last week I had a couple days of vacation planned and we had to move our servers to a brand new datacenter.

I asked a colleague to follow the problem but got scared from NetBackup. He made a change in the name of the schedule which had quit an impact. He saw a typo error in the name of the backup schedule. The title was not consistent with all the other schedules. So he changed the name of the schedule not knowing what the impact was. Either I was not aware of the impact. Unfortunately he changed the full backup schedule so during the night NetBackup started full backups of every machine in the policy.

To get everything back to normal I started scripting bpbackup commands everyday which started full backup of particular machines at the end of the day. While doing this I actually also noticed that I was mistaken when saying that executing a full backup did not shift the schedule. I'm not familiar with NetBackup commands but I started using bpimagelist to investigate my problem. The backups were shifting but I have a few servers with almost the same name. I overlooked the name difference. I think my illness clouded my judgment together with planning the move to our new datacenter. This was not an ideal cocktail to investigate a problem.

The final conclusion is that my backup window was indeed too small that particular day. Now every backup is running normal within the planned backup window due to work I had to do after the name change.

Regards,
    Erwin