Forum Discussion

jacksors
Level 4
15 years ago

Global Exclude List

I am running Netbackup 6.5.4 on Windows and have a need to exclude a directory for a management agent that has been deployed to every server.

I'd like to not have to edit the properties of every client, but I can't find a global setting that would allow me to push this to all clients.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

• This is from one of Andy Welburn posts : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exclude-list-0

He is using bpsetconfig/bpgetconfig to do the jobs - it's require you to write a batch script . There is a tech note the command  A method for centrally managing exclude and include list for UNIX and Linux clients under NetBackup 6.5.3. But it works on windows  also.

<quote>

Having just had a little play with the bpgetconfig/bpsetconfig commands you are going to have to be very careful or very clever with this. If you try & use the bpsetconfig just to add another entry into your windows clients' exclude list then please be aware that it will replace all existing exclude list entries:

eg:
    To show current settings:
    # bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = "
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\misc\*

Format of 'file':
    # cat EXCLUDE
    Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt

To update settings:
    # bpsetconfig -h <client> EXCLUDE

To show updated settings:

i.e. all the original one's have now been 'deleted'

For EACH client you would have to determine the current exclude list settings & cat to a file & then ADD your new entry to that file, then use the combined file to update each client

e.g.
    # bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = " > EXCLUDE
    # echo "Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt" >> EXCLUDE

Just test it out on a test server or your PC (if it's a client), until you're comfortable with what it does before potentially destroying all your exclude lists if you get it wrong. I would ensure you have a file of each clients current settings - just in case!!

</quote>

5 Replies

• Your best bet would be to highlight all clients (or maybe smaller groups thereof) in the Host Properties/Clients area of the GUI & just add your exclude there.
  • Create the bp.conf for all the server in your master with the exclude_list you need.

Take a backup of those bp.conf text files.

write a batch script to use bprestore command to restore the corresponding bp.conf text file to the correct client

done

isn't that easy :)
  • Oh I'm sorry it was a reading error from me.  Actually i dont intended to post that.

I was actually thinking of a way for your question, it got posted by accident.

Anonymous
    See my Idea which includes a centrally managed method symantec published. Its not pretty but lots of calls for this to be implemented in the product.

Heres hoping NetBackup 7.0 has it inside.

• This is from one of Andy Welburn posts : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exclude-list-0

He is using bpsetconfig/bpgetconfig to do the jobs - it's require you to write a batch script . There is a tech note the command  A method for centrally managing exclude and include list for UNIX and Linux clients under NetBackup 6.5.3. But it works on windows  also.

<quote>

Having just had a little play with the bpgetconfig/bpsetconfig commands you are going to have to be very careful or very clever with this. If you try & use the bpsetconfig just to add another entry into your windows clients' exclude list then please be aware that it will replace all existing exclude list entries:

eg:
    To show current settings:
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*
    Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\misc\*

Format of 'file':
    # cat EXCLUDE

To update settings:

To show updated settings:

i.e. all the original one's have now been 'deleted'

For EACH client you would have to determine the current exclude list settings & cat to a file & then ADD your new entry to that file, then use the combined file to update each client

e.g.
    # bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = " > EXCLUDE
    # echo "Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt" >> EXCLUDE

Just test it out on a test server or your PC (if it's a client), until you're comfortable with what it does before potentially destroying all your exclude lists if you get it wrong. I would ensure you have a file of each clients current settings - just in case!!

</quote>