Forum Discussion

lravelo
Level 3
9 years ago

Help designing backups with 7 year retention

I'm new to NetBackup and could use some help designing a backup strategy for our Domino servers.  My employer requires a seven year retention.  We plan on using a mix of disk and tape as storage medium.  Basically what I envision is keeping monthly full backups on tape for seven years but doing daily incrementals to disk.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

• Backup strategies are (or should be) designed by management.They should take into consideration the costs involved with the strategy. You say, "My employer requires a seven year retention", but to what level of granularity? Do they want the monthly available for 7 years, or the yearly available for 7 years? Depending on your answer your requirement for backup storage will differ a lot. Keeping the monthly for 7 years, would mean 12 * 7 instances of your data is kept, if its yearly, only 7 instance are kept. On top of that you might have it on disk and tape for at least some of the retention.

It best to put all of this into a spreadsheet and see what the strategy costs in terms of disk/tape. Then show them and get approval.

13 Replies