Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Help identfying log to show tape scratch reassignment

Can somebody help me identify which log(s) show the expiration process of a tape and it's reassignment back to the scratch pool?

I was looking in the media manger logs (OID 111) but nothing jumped out at me.  I'm wondering if I don't have the verbosity set high enough.

Thanks,

• Not easy to slog through but it gets logged to :

C:\program files\veritas\netbackup\db\error\log_13232333 (unix time name)

Entries such as:

1393441956 1 2 4 servername 0 0 0 servername bpexpdate Deassigned media-id DA0001 on host servername

Hope that helps

7 Replies

• Not sure but someone will!

I could be totally wrong here, but, the regular cleanup that NetBackup runs employs bpexpdate and looking at the man page for that indicates it may welll log such info in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin.

Now checking the logs in there does show that bpexpdate is being run, but unfortunately we no longer employ tape media so I cannot verify one way or the other whether it will provide the exact info that you require.

Running bpexpdate -deassignempty manually does notify you of the media - maybe the log will too?

• Not easy to slog through but it gets logged to :

C:\program files\veritas\netbackup\db\error\log_13232333 (unix time name)

Entries such as:

1393441956 1 2 4 servername 0 0 0 servername bpexpdate Deassigned media-id DA0001 on host servername

Hope that helps

• Told ya someone would know!

Never would have guessed ....

..... that it would be in a folder called "error"?

• I didnt know either - just dug around everywhere until i found it - LOL!

Fortunately my laptop doesn't tend to be too busy so the logs weren't huge!

• Blimey, I didn't know that either ...  learn someting everyday ...