Forum Discussion

mrauf
Level 4
4 years ago

How can i restore expired images in netbackup 7.6

Hello,

How can i restore the expire catalog images in netbackup 7.6, by mistake i expired the valid images from catalog and i would like to resote it backup. is there any possiblity to restore the images.

Master Server : netbackup.domain.com

NBU Version:- 7.6

Please kindly help me on this issue.

Thanks

Mohammed 

mrauf
    4 years ago

Thanks to each and every one for your support any how my issue is not resolved and  i am still troubleshooting, any how i got the idea i will try it resolve the issue. so going to closed this post. 

13 Replies

mrauf
      Level 4

Thanks mph999 

for your response, the image should be there in Tape drive as i kept the retention infanite, but while i insert the tape in tape library it's going directly to scratch and i am unable to import the image.

if i restore catalog backup then is it possible that it can restore catalog images too.

Thanks.

davidmoline
        Level 6

mrauf 

Although restoring the catalog would achieve the recovery of the images, this is not really a good idea. The reason is that you will also loose from the catalog any backups that have occured after when that catalog backup was made.

Asmph999 said do the 2 phase import as shown in the article he referenced. To protect the tapes from being overwritten, move them into a different pool so that they are not accidentally used for new backups (consider even write protercting the tapes if the data is important). 

Good luck - the import process is not difficult but does take some time to scan the tape two times over.

• You cannot import a tape that is in the scratch pool.

Right click the tape, select change and then select a volume pool from the drop down.

davidmoline
      Level 6

Thanks for that titbit mph999 - I didn't know that moving the tape from the scratch pool was a requirement - learn something new every day. I always did it to avoid it being considered for overwrite, so never ran into a problem (good luck rather good management) - not that I have had to perform many imports in my time.

mph999
        Level 6

It gets me everytime David, I always forget ....

My goal for this year is to actually do an imprt without forgetting to move the tape from scratch first .... :0)