Forum Discussion

manatee
Level 6
9 years ago

how do you read "bp.conf" file?

i'm troubleshooting a problem with "bpclntcmd -pn" in a different thread and i came across a troubleshooting article to check "bp.conf" file. when i checked, what i saw doesn't seem right.

SERVER = <master/media server>
SERVER = PC x
SERVER = PC y
SERVER = <an Oracle server configured as media server>
SERVER = PC w
SERVER = PC v
SERVER = PC u
CLIENT_NAME = <master/media server>
#CONNECT_OPTIONS = localhost 1 0 2
USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED
VXSS_SERVICE_TYPE = INTEGRITYANDCONFIDENTIALITY
EMMSERVER = <master/media server>
HOST_CACHE_TTL = 3600
VXDBMS_NB_DATA = /usr/openv/db/data
DEFAULT_CONNECT_OPTIONS = 0 1 0
SPS_REDIRECT_ALLOWED = OLDdag01 OLDmb01
SPS_REDIRECT_ALLOWED = OLDdag01 OLDmb02
SPS_REDIRECT_ALLOWED = OLDdag01 OLDhub01
SPS_REDIRECT_ALLOWED = OLDdag01 OLDhub02
#VERBOSE = 5
BPRD_VERBOSE = 0
BPDBM_VERBOSE = 0
#BPBRM_VERBOSE = 5
#BPTM_VERBOSE = 5
#BPDM_VERBOSE = 5
VAULT_VERBOSE = 0
BPJOBD_VERBOSE = 0
CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT = 7200
GRANULAR_DUP_RECURSION = 0
DISALLOW_CLIENT_LIST_RESTORE = NO
DISALLOW_CLIENT_RESTORE = NO
ENABLE_ROBUST_LOGGING = YES
CLIENT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT = 7200
SERVER_CONNECT_TIMEOUT = 300
JOB_PRIORITY = 0 0 90000 90000 90000 90000 85000 85000 80000 80000 80000 80000 75000 75000 70000 70000 50000 50000 45000 0 0 0 0 0
BPDM_VERBOSE = 0
BPBRM_VERBOSE = 0
BPTM_VERBOSE = 0
RESILIENT_NETWORK = <ip address of a test server> ON
PREFERRED_NETWORK = 192.168.1.10 MATCH 192.168.1.20
TELEMETRY_UPLOAD = NO

as far as i know, that resilient and preferred network has something to do with performance?

also, why are there so many SERVER entries? what does it mean?

and the SPS_REDIRECT what are they? they point to non-existing servers

• Hi,

Resilient network is used for clients that backup across a WAN link that might drop packets, lose connection etc.

There are so many entries because in per 7.7 when we had the good old Remote admin console. Every desktop that had the console on it needed to be listed as a "SERVER" so it could access the master server.

SPS redirects show the front end to backend database mapping for SharePoint. 

All of this is just a reflection of the host properties > master server settings. You can adjust it there instead of editing the bp.conf.

4 Replies

• Hi,

Resilient network is used for clients that backup across a WAN link that might drop packets, lose connection etc.

There are so many entries because in per 7.7 when we had the good old Remote admin console. Every desktop that had the console on it needed to be listed as a "SERVER" so it could access the master server.

SPS redirects show the front end to backend database mapping for SharePoint. 

All of this is just a reflection of the host properties > master server settings. You can adjust it there instead of editing the bp.conf.

• The 1st entry in bp.conf is the master server:

SERVER = <master>

The above bp.conf seems to be for a master.
    (Riaan has explained rest of entries.)

bpclntcmd -pn will try to connect to the master (1st entry).
    bprd on the master will receive connection request from the client and then needs to resolve the client IP address to hostname that appears in a policy.

Important to carefully ensure that this name is resolved by DNS and that reverse lookup matches the hostnames used in NBU. It must be an EXACT match.

master != Master != MASTER != master.fqdn

Same for Client names:

clientA != clienta != CLIENTA != clientA.fqdn

• SERVER -entries can access and alter the current host, in this case your master server. You should be careful with those. That is why there is also MEDIA_SERVER -entries for media servers that have limited access but can function as media servers.

I strongly recommend that you revise your configuration for the Oracle media server. It should be listed as a MEDIA_SERVER, not as a SERVER.

• In the olden days (before 7.7 NB) the windows admin console required an entry for each PC in the master server bp.conf so they have authority to connect to it.

IF you are not using the windows version of the admin console, remove the PC entries. I have found that too many non-existant SERVER entries will cause significant performance issues as the master tries and fails to contact them.

Essentially the list of SERVER entries will be only master, media and windows admin access, the only significant order is that the master MUST be first.

SERVER = master

SERVER = media server

SERVER = windows admin users