Forum Discussion

manatee
Level 6
7 years ago

how to check if deduplication is working/enabled

if i understand deduplication correctly, the first time a backup is done for, say 10GB, file it would take the exact amount of time to backup a 10GB file. but for succeeding backups, since the 10GB is on disk, the backup time should be reduced. that's the theoreticals. how to show/check that in the backup policies? like a check button or something.

• If you've just been given a lun, then it would be using MSDP (Media Server Deduplication Pool).

So, if you're sending data to this pool then deduplication is enabled by default, you can't disable it.

Look at the detailed job status as mentioned in my previous post or unhide the deduplication column in the activity monitor to see the ratios.

7 Replies

• "theoreticals"

Client side deduplication - deduplications is triggered on the client side (before the data is transfered to media server)

Media server deduplication - deduplication is triggered on media server (after all data is tranfered from the client)

manatee
      Level 6

here's what i did (the practical).

i ran a full backup and it took 00:26:52 to finish.

i then ran the same backup and this time it took 00:14:30 to finish.

is it safe to say that's deduplication at work?

IonutP
        Level 4

Back to basics.

Since you have a MSDP (saw in another post), the deduplication is done on the media server side so if you run 2 fulls for the same size in "theory" it should have the same duration.

At the end of the job details you should have : Example : "scanned: 1187 KB, CR sent: 13 KB, CR sent over FC: 0 KB, dedup: 98.9%, cache hits: 0 (0.0%)"