Forum Discussion

Kai2209
Level 4
7 years ago

How to delete images on a disk pool which is no longer accessible

Since we moved from a nbu 7.1 to 8.0 and another hardware we still do have a DataDomain with existing images which cannot be accessed within the new environment due to incompatibility issues.

I would like to remove this storage server and diskpool completely but i cannot expire and remove images because it is not accessible. I did a "bpexpdate -stype DataDomain -dp <diskpoolname>" but i got Status 2017 disk volume is down.

Any idea how to proceed here?

thanks Kai

• I am not 100% sure on this so cation is needed - consider to open a support request with Veritas

Before starting the operation obtain the media id for the now gone data domain. Media is @aaaa{something}.

Try using the -nodelete to the bpexpdate command.  bpexpdate -nodelete will remove images from the catalog but not try to delete the image itself.

See : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000117798

Subsequent you need to clean up the EMM table as it keep track of images it can't delete. The -fore option to nbdelete will remove the image from EMM, deletable or not.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimage -cleanup -allclients
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdelete -allvolumes -force

Verify afterwards clean up is complete by running 

nbdelete -deletion_stats [-U] -media_id name (name is @aaaaa{something} again.

Also check the image clean job in Netbackup.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I am not 100% sure on this so cation is needed - consider to open a support request with Veritas

Before starting the operation obtain the media id for the now gone data domain. Media is @aaaa{something}.

Try using the -nodelete to the bpexpdate command.  bpexpdate -nodelete will remove images from the catalog but not try to delete the image itself.

See : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000117798

Subsequent you need to clean up the EMM table as it keep track of images it can't delete. The -fore option to nbdelete will remove the image from EMM, deletable or not.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimage -cleanup -allclients
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdelete -allvolumes -force

Verify afterwards clean up is complete by running 

nbdelete -deletion_stats [-U] -media_id name (name is @aaaaa{something} again.

Also check the image clean job in Netbackup.

Marianne
      Level 6

I have been wondering since my reply why the compatibility issue was not picked up before the upgrade?
      Or if the DD cannot be upgraded?

Kai2209
        Level 4

since the DD is no longer needed i was not aware of the "need". I thought i can just delete :(

so this means i have to upgrade DD, install the plugin and connect...just to cleanup my database

• Try to add  -justimage .

I remember this option from years ago and not sure if it is still a valid option. 

Kai2209
      Level 4

thanks Marianne but it is not a valid option :(