Forum Discussion

9 years ago

How to know the install location of Netbackup Software on Linux

Hello All,

How to know the exact install location of Netbackup software on linux box? Does it get stored somewhere  a System wide location on Linux?

In windows we have registry key which tells us about install location for NBU.

Thanks,

Omkar

• Netbackup on Linux default to /usr/openv as installation path.

If you are unsure of the installation path you can do a global search of bp.conf or you can query for installed packages. However there are difftent package manager across Linux distros.

This example is taken from a Red Hat installation.

rpm -qa | grep SYMCnbcl

Returns "SYMCnbclt-7.6.1.1-1" - we know Netbackup is installed.

Then 

rpm -ql SYMCnbclt-7.6.1.1-1 | head

Returns the follwing:

/usr/openv/lib
    /usr/openv/lib/.vxms.rc

Netbackup is installed in /usr/openv

• If you do not install it into /usr/openv (the default location) then a sym link is ALWAYS created.

So run: ls -ld /usr/openv

This will tell you if it's linked to an alternate location or not. Here's my example

ls -ld /usr/openv
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 May 26 15:58 /usr/openv -> /software/openv/

This shows I have installed NetBackup into /software and I have symbolic link of /usr/openv pointing to /software/openv.

If you see no "->" followed by another directory, then it is simply installed into /usr/openv

4 Replies

• Netbackup on Linux default to /usr/openv as installation path.

If you are unsure of the installation path you can do a global search of bp.conf or you can query for installed packages. However there are difftent package manager across Linux distros.

This example is taken from a Red Hat installation.

rpm -qa | grep SYMCnbcl

Returns "SYMCnbclt-7.6.1.1-1" - we know Netbackup is installed.

Then 

rpm -ql SYMCnbclt-7.6.1.1-1 | head

Returns the follwing:

/usr/openv/lib
    /usr/openv/lib/.vxms.rc

Netbackup is installed in /usr/openv

• If you do not install it into /usr/openv (the default location) then a sym link is ALWAYS created.

So run: ls -ld /usr/openv

This will tell you if it's linked to an alternate location or not. Here's my example

ls -ld /usr/openv
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 May 26 15:58 /usr/openv -> /software/openv/

This shows I have installed NetBackup into /software and I have symbolic link of /usr/openv pointing to /software/openv.

If you see no "->" followed by another directory, then it is simply installed into /usr/openv

• Personally I would never trust rpm output, customers move NetBackup from /usr/openv all the time after initially installing it there. I would check the /usr/openv directory to see if it is symlinked or not.

• Works fine in-house for me, but again we don't do these type of work around :-)

And since the user asked for a "system wide location", the package database was the best answer I could find.