Forum Discussion

robertoaxity
2 years ago

How to see encrypt in my jobs backup?

Hello, can you help me? i need image or evidence of encryption of backups at veritas, if my backup has encryption how can I see that, some file on the client or master associated with the client, policy or whatever?

Netbackup 8.3.0.2

Thanks very much

Regards

davidmoline
    2 years ago

Hi robertoaxity 

Firstly, a glib answer - since you don't know it is probably that the backups are not encrypted. Now how to check this. 

1. For tape, most modern tape drives have inbuilt encrpytion option, it just needs to be enabled. One way is to setup NetBackup KMS and create ENCR_<pools> that use the KMS to enable encryption when writing to tape. It is also possible to an external mechanism to encrypt tapes (in which case NetBackup has no knowledge of this). If you don't have KMS setup, nor any tape pools starting with ENCR_, then you are not using NetBackup controlled tape encryption. If you have a third party mechanism - I cannot tell you how to verify. 

2. For Disk, if the disk is MSDP, then review the storage server properties to see if the encryption filed is set to 1. MSDP can optionally use KMS also which can also be checked in the same place. If the disk is Advanced disk, then you can use NetBackup KMS to encypt data at rest if the pool name starts with ENCR_. 

3. It is possible to enable client-side encryption by selecting the appropriate check box on the policy. 

Hope this helps. 

David

11 Replies

• Hi robertoaxity 

How are you encrypting your backups? The answer will determine the method to show the proof. 

Also what level of eveidence do you need? For instance would the stsorage server properties be sufficient to show an MSDP pool is encrypted?

Cheers
    David

robertoaxity

I dont know if my backup are encrypted, so i need see that and how i see the backup encrypted

davidmoline
        Level 6

Okay, let's start at the basics - what devices are you using to store your backups? Are you trying (or wanting ) to encrypt your backups from the client, or just where the backups are stored (disk/tape/cloud)?

Have you review the Security and Encryption Admin guide - this provides much of the background and details how to configure the various options.