Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Hyper-v NetBackup only of production copy of VMs (not the replicated VMs)

Am I missing something or is NetBackup way behind in Hyper-V support compared to VMWare.  We have a VMWare and a Hyper-V implementation and we have replication for both for DR purposes (SRM for the o...
    10 years ago

I'm not an expert on Hyper-V but I think these features are available in VMware because the information in made available to NBU via vCenter. When NBU queries vCenter it gets a very detailed list of all the vm's and their configurations (Data Centers, Clusters, VM states, VM configs, etc, etc).

So the question would be, can you get this information from Hyper-V. And if you can, then it would probably require NBU team to write some query to retrieve the information.

10 years ago

Riaan is correct. It is not a case of NBU working better with VMWare than it does with HyperV it is more of a case of VMWare being a more mature and robust product when it applies to management and reporting. vSphere (vCenter) is a stand of machine that maintains a database and provides an API connector to it. HyperV on the other hand is more like a single EXS server. That data about clients is not exposed as much to external applications since the majority is not exposed to WMI. Microsoft is making leaps and bounds toward getting the management tools and thus interfacing those with third-party tools but it is not there yet.