Forum Discussion

Arun_K
Level 6
12 years ago

image clean up

Image clean up job expires the image  from the image database .

But what about the data which exist on disk?

I have my below data on st. unit under /vol/data mount point.

-rw------- 1 root    root         1527 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_set.out
-rw------- 1 root    root          360 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_tpconfig.out
-rw------- 1 root    root          105 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_uname.out
-rw------- 1 root    root          110 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_version.out
-rw------- 1 root    root         1598 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_vmglob.out
-rw------- 1 root    root          352 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_vmoprcmd_devconfig.out
-rw------- 1 root    root          509 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_vmoprcmd.out
-rw------- 1 root    root         1317 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_vmpool.out
-rw------- 1 root    root       107471 Sep 19 12:04 nbuquick_vmquery.out
drwxr-xr-x 2 root    root         4096 Nov 14 07:58 new_BL_output_data
-rw-r--r-- 1 root    root          128 Jun 21 10:50 ntpoutput.csv

Backup will expire on 20th November?

What happens to this data which is on the disk after expiration?

My /vol/data will be removed or contents under it will be removed?
  • This is the best explanation, from Bob Insko, who is one of the best people in Symantec for anything to do with catalogs  (from the link Marianne provided)

You will not get a better explanation than this :

****************************************************************************************************************

Keep in mind that expiration of Disk images is a two part process.

bpexpdate will detect that the image has past it's expiration time (or can be run manually).  If bpexpdate encounters a Disk Image, it will record the fragments of that image that exist on disk in EMM and they will be marked "To be deleted".  bpexpdate will then delete the header and .f file from the image directory.

Later, nbdelete will run.  It will examine the appropriate EMM tables looking for fragments to actually delete from disk.  The appropriate media server will be contacted and bpdm on that media server will actually delete the fragment from disk.  If the media server cannot be contacted, or if the media server can't access the Disk STU, then the entry will remain in the EMM table so that an attempt to delete it can be completed on the next run of nbdelete. 

Both of these jobs show up in the Activity Monitor as an Image Cleanup job.  Looking at the Job Details will show if a particular Image Cleanup job is a bpexpdate job, an nbdelete job, or both.

nbdelete does not really "detect" expired images.  It only deletes fragments on images that were previously deleted by bpexpdate.

One VERY DANGEROUS flag on nbdelete is the -force flag.  What that flag does is make THIS run of nbdelete attempt to delete the disk fragment from disk, but if that attempt fails because the media server is not available, or the media server can't access the disk STU (the disk STU is not currently mounted, for example), then even though the ATTEMPT to delete the disk fragment from disk FAILED, the entry in the EMM table will be deleted.  This means that if that media server comes back, or the disk STU is again available, no further attempts will be made by NetBackup to delete that fragment from disk by any automated means.  This would "orphan" (i.e.. abandon) that disk fragment on the disk STU where those files are just "taking up space" forever unless some other action is taken to delete them.

20 Replies

• @Mark:I just wanna know when my cleanup job runs.it deletes from NBU catalog

But how those expired images are deleted from disk?

• Mark has explained how it works.

The nbdelete process is run, which is the process that actually deletes the fragments from disk.

• Plus nbdelete has been explained to you in detail.  See the link in my post above.

If you still don't understand, I'm afraid you never will. Just let it go.....

• To be honest, if your system is working correctly don't worry about it ...

• Heaven knows, I know I've explained this numerous times in different posts ....

• I lost it right there.

Then clean up handled the mess.

• This is the best explanation, from Bob Insko, who is one of the best people in Symantec for anything to do with catalogs  (from the link Marianne provided)

You will not get a better explanation than this :

****************************************************************************************************************

Keep in mind that expiration of Disk images is a two part process.

bpexpdate will detect that the image has past it's expiration time (or can be run manually).  If bpexpdate encounters a Disk Image, it will record the fragments of that image that exist on disk in EMM and they will be marked "To be deleted".  bpexpdate will then delete the header and .f file from the image directory.

Later, nbdelete will run.  It will examine the appropriate EMM tables looking for fragments to actually delete from disk.  The appropriate media server will be contacted and bpdm on that media server will actually delete the fragment from disk.  If the media server cannot be contacted, or if the media server can't access the Disk STU, then the entry will remain in the EMM table so that an attempt to delete it can be completed on the next run of nbdelete. 

Both of these jobs show up in the Activity Monitor as an Image Cleanup job.  Looking at the Job Details will show if a particular Image Cleanup job is a bpexpdate job, an nbdelete job, or both.

nbdelete does not really "detect" expired images.  It only deletes fragments on images that were previously deleted by bpexpdate.

One VERY DANGEROUS flag on nbdelete is the -force flag.  What that flag does is make THIS run of nbdelete attempt to delete the disk fragment from disk, but if that attempt fails because the media server is not available, or the media server can't access the disk STU (the disk STU is not currently mounted, for example), then even though the ATTEMPT to delete the disk fragment from disk FAILED, the entry in the EMM table will be deleted.  This means that if that media server comes back, or the disk STU is again available, no further attempts will be made by NetBackup to delete that fragment from disk by any automated means.  This would "orphan" (i.e.. abandon) that disk fragment on the disk STU where those files are just "taking up space" forever unless some other action is taken to delete them.