Forum Discussion

MariusD
Level 6
16 years ago

Install a linux client - step by step

I need help to install a linux client. I am not familiar with Unix/Linux "Language". Can anybody help me with a step by step guide?

The Master NBU is a Windows 2003 and I have 3 Linux (suse 32/64bit)) clients and I must to install the NBU client.

Usually this installation makes the linux administrator, but  now is in vacation.

We have a network path where the setup kit's are "\\servername.shared.com\setup" and I can on the client logging. What must i do next. ...?

Thanks for your help"

Regards
Marius Demeter

•   a. Log on to the UNIX system as root.
    b. Mount CD and navigate to Mount point.
    c. Type ./install to run installation script.
    d. Type y to continue.
    e. Type y to confirm the client software installation.
    f. Type the hostname of Master Server - nbumaster
    g. Type y to confirm the name of Netbackup Client
    h. Navigate to /usr/openv/netbackup
    i. Type vi bp.conf to edit file
    j. Add the media server to bp.conf file as follows:
    - SERVER = Master_Server_Name
    - SERVER = Media Server_Name
    - CLIENT_NAME = Client_name
    k. Save and close file.
    l. Reboot Master, Media and Cleint.
    m. After the installation is complete, unmount the cd.

17 Replies

• and when I don't have a CD/DVD ??? I have just a network path where are the kit's/setup files.

• "...
    2 Change your working directory to the CD directory if you have a CD, or to the directory that contains the downloaded files:
    ..."

The relevant part here is "to the directory that contains the downloaded files" i.e. your network path where you have the install files which you can mount on your linux client?

• ok, thanks all but:

i need to take the setup file from network. How can I do this?
    Don't work with (
    "
    Insert CD)
    # mkdir /cdrom
    # mount -o ro /dev/cdrom /cdrom
    # /cdrom/install
    "

• I would share this cd2 contents on You windows box - lets call it windows_srv, and the share name as cd2.
    Than from linux try to mount this share:
    login into linux box,
    create a directory called remote_share in root: mkdir /remote_share
    mount it: mount -t smbfs \\windows_srv\cd2_share /remote_share

Probably You would need to pass USER ID and its password to access this share.

Of course this is high level procedure - if I were You I would just burn this CD2 contnets onto cd and follow the procedure which was presented here a few post ago ;D.

• ... if you need to mount a windows share on a linux box you're better off googling for 'mount share +linux' - there are a LOT of forums & blogs out there devoted to Linux specifically. [Just confirmed that myself & found enough to help you if this is the direction you need to go].

Once mounted you should be able to cd into that share on the linux client & run the install script as directed above.