Forum Discussion

DV1UBY
Level 3
11 years ago

Inventory failed: media ID not unique in database (34)

I got this error in Netbackup Administration Console:

Inventory failed: media ID not unique in database (34)

issues 34 error.JPG

• This can happen if two tapes has the same barcode label or if a tape has been removed from the tape robot without a following inventory. If the same tape is then imported via the CAP you will see the "media ID is not unique" because Netbackup will think the media is still in the robot.

Do the following:

Inventory the robot (this should move 0015L5 logical out of  the robot)

re-try to insert 0015L5 into the robot.

3 Replies

• This can happen if two tapes has the same barcode label or if a tape has been removed from the tape robot without a following inventory. If the same tape is then imported via the CAP you will see the "media ID is not unique" because Netbackup will think the media is still in the robot.

Do the following:

Inventory the robot (this should move 0015L5 logical out of  the robot)

re-try to insert 0015L5 into the robot.

• I checked that this tape has not yet reached its retention period of 90 days since the tape is monthly tape. I inserted new tapes now its ok.

• The location of a tape has nothing to do with retention period. The retention is not the reason why you cannot put it back in the robot - what if you need to restore from a tape that is offsite and you need to put it back in the robot?

Nicolai is probably right - NBU thought the tape was already in another slot in the robot.

You need to have another look at the method you use to remove tapes from the robot and put them back.

If your robot has a MAP/CAP, best to use it to eject media and reinsert tapes.