Forum Discussion

pnobels
Level 3
4 years ago

Lots of socket write failed on 8.3.0.1

Hi,

setup : 3 x media servers running Windows 2012 R2, backups going to disk and then stage to LTO7.

Since we've upgraded from 8.1.2 to 8.3.0.1 we've experienced a lot of full backup failures during the weekend.

The errors can be summarized as : 

(2074) Disk volume is down
(41) network connection timed out
(24) socket write failed

All seems to point to network timeouts.  But we've never had issues with 8.1.2.  This is the second weekend that we're taking backups with 8.3.0.1 and that these failures occur.  Some clients were still on 8.1.2 last week.  They are on 8.3.0.1 now, but this does apparantly not make any difference.

Anyone had similar experiences?

8 Replies

pnobels
      Level 3

We do not use MSDP.

I've seen the requirements.  Master server only has 64 GByte of RAM in our case.  But we only have 3 media servers.  And i haven't seen memory or cpu shortage.

pnobels
      Level 3

Yes, the master is also media server.

pnobels
        Level 3

Been doing a little bit of further investigation...  Turns out i was wrong and the issue does not appear on all media servers.  All above mentioned errors point to one media server, which happens to be the master.

There were some other errors on other media servers (snapshot error while reading file) but i've also seen these in the past and am not too worried about these ones.

No network bandwidth exhaustion during backup window.  Nothing strange in the event logs...

• pnobels please check usage of your sockets on the Windows Master server. Use netstat utility to figure out if there are more than usual or normal usage of sockets from or to the master. You may have to work with your Windows admin to find more on this.