Forum Discussion

jwallen21
Level 4
13 years ago

Master server services wont start back up.

Windows 2008 not r2 master server running on 7.01 right now and have a 2008r2 media server. Has anyone had the issue where the enterprise media manager service and Database manager wont start. A couple of errors from the event logger. Any help would be great.

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the NetBackup Database Manager service to connect.

The description for Event ID 1 from source SQLANY64 11.0 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

SQLANYs_VERITAS_NB
Starting service SQLANYs_VERITAS_NB

These policies are being excluded since they are only defined with override-only attribute.
Policy Names=(IIS-W3SVC-MaxConcurrentRequests) (Microsoft-Windows-AuxiliaryDisplay-EnableAPI) (Microsoft-Windows-AuxiliaryDisplay-EnableCPL) (Microsoft-Windows-AuxiliaryDisplay-EnableCPL_w) (Microsoft-Windows-AuxiliaryDisplay-EnableDriver) (Microsoft-Windows-AuxiliaryDisplay-EnableDriver_w) (Microsoft-Windows-AuxiliaryDisplay-EnableSDP) (Microsoft-Windows-AuxiliaryDisplay-EnableSDP_w) (Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServices-CA-AdvancedTemplateSupport) (Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServices-CA-AdvancedTemplateSupport_w) (Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServices-CA-CertificateManagerRestrictionSupport) (Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServices-CA-CertificateManagerRestrictionSupport_w) (Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServices-CA-ExitModuleSMTPSupport) (Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServices-CA-ExitModuleSMTPSupport_w) (Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServices-CA-RoleSeparationSupport) (Microsoft-Windows-CertificateServices-CA-RoleSeparationSupport_w) (Microsoft-Windows-Fax-Common-DeviceLimit) (Microsoft-Windows-Fax-Common-EnableServerPolicy) (PeerToPeerBase-IdManager-EnabledPolicy) (PeerToPeerBase-IdManager-EnabledPolicy_w) (PeerToPeerBase-Pnrp-EnabledPolicy) (PeerToPeerBase-Pnrp-EnabledPolicy_w) (Printing-Spooler-Pmc-Licensing-Enabled) (Printing-Spooler-Pmc-Licensing-Enabled_w) (SecureStartupFeature-Enabled) (SecureStartupFeature-Enabled-Driver) (SecureStartupFeature-Enabled_w) (SecureStartupFeature-PerfWarning) (TSProxy-EdgeAdapter-MaxConnections) (Telnet-Server-EnableTelnetServer) (Telnet-Server-EnableTelnetServer_w) (nfs-admincmdtools-enabled) (nfs-adminmmc-enabled) (nfs-clientcmdtools-enabled) (nfs-clientcore-enabled) (nfs-servercmdtools-enabled) (nfs-servercore-enabled) (psync-Enabled) (snis-Enabled) (snis-Enabled_w) (sua-EnableSUA)
App Id=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
Sku Id=56df4151-1f9f-41bf-acaa-2941c071872b

• Forget a repair install.

In fairness to wr, it was an excellent idea, but now we see the errors,  I don't think it will help.

There is something wrong with the database.  There are two 'repair' options that I would try, they will either work, or they will not - but will not cause ay further issues.

1.  Force the DB to start with a new transactions log 

2.  Use nbdb_admin to rebuild the DB (default passwd is nbusql but don't tell anyone)

If these don't work, they I'd probably just go for a Catalog recovery .

Last time I saw one of these, I spent hours tracing through the DB tables (nbdb_unload) only to find out I was going in circles - rebuilt the DB and job was a good 'un.

I'd stop NBU run nbdb_admin and use this to start just the NBU database (NOT the NBU services), I'd then run a full validate on it and see if it errors.  (Oh, with NBU down and before you start the DB, make a copy of ..db\data ).

Ahh, you are on windows, the program you run is a bit different ...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126758   -theory the same.

To create the new transaction log ...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61635

If you do end up going for a catalog recovery, I recommend going for a Full recovery (evertything). If you go for a partial recovery you MUST run an NBCC afterwards BEFORE you run ANY backups.  As I do not know the history here this is  safe guard to prevent data loss.  

Regards,

Martin

9 Replies

• Resolution
    If the NetBackup services are not configured to log on as the default Local System account then change them to use this setting.

1. Open the Services panel by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    2. Scroll down to the NetBackup daemons and select the service that will not start
    3. Right click on the service and select Properties
    4. Then select the Log On tab and select Log on as: to the Local System Account option

Then attempt to restart the NetBackup service.  If this fails to resolve the issue, contact Symantec Enterprise Technical Services for additional assistance with this error code

URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48318

• We have not reinstalled anything yet... So you are thinking we need to reinstall the SQLANY64 11.0?

• C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\log

I. 04/03 15:14:15. Database recovery in progress

I. 04/03 15:14:15.     Last checkpoint at Tue Apr 03 2012 10:20

I. 04/03 15:14:15.     Transaction log: C:\Program Files\Veritas\\NetBackupDB\data\NBDB.log...

E. 04/03 15:14:15. *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 100904 (11.0.1.2250)

Failed to redo a database operation (id=1, page_no=0x2fe, offset=0x4ff) - Error: Primary key for table 'DBM_ImageChangeLog' is not unique : Primar

I. 04/03 15:14:15. Recovery complete

E. 04/03 15:14:15. Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 100904 (11.0.1.2250)

Failed to redo a database operation (id=1, page_no=0x2fe, offset=0x4ff) - Error: Primary key for table 'DBM_ImageChangeLog' is not unique : Primar -- transaction rolled back

I. 04/03 15:14:15. Database server shutdown due to startup error

• The NetBackup services is already running as the local system login. What could be the effects of doing a repair on this system?

• Forget a repair install.

In fairness to wr, it was an excellent idea, but now we see the errors,  I don't think it will help.

There is something wrong with the database.  There are two 'repair' options that I would try, they will either work, or they will not - but will not cause ay further issues.

1.  Force the DB to start with a new transactions log 

2.  Use nbdb_admin to rebuild the DB (default passwd is nbusql but don't tell anyone)

If these don't work, they I'd probably just go for a Catalog recovery .

Last time I saw one of these, I spent hours tracing through the DB tables (nbdb_unload) only to find out I was going in circles - rebuilt the DB and job was a good 'un.

I'd stop NBU run nbdb_admin and use this to start just the NBU database (NOT the NBU services), I'd then run a full validate on it and see if it errors.  (Oh, with NBU down and before you start the DB, make a copy of ..db\data ).

Ahh, you are on windows, the program you run is a bit different ...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126758   -theory the same.

To create the new transaction log ...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61635

If you do end up going for a catalog recovery, I recommend going for a Full recovery (evertything). If you go for a partial recovery you MUST run an NBCC afterwards BEFORE you run ANY backups.  As I do not know the history here this is  safe guard to prevent data loss.  

Regards,

Martin

• @ mph999

You gave us a leg to stand on when talking with support their first plan was to reinstalll the application and we tried the suggestions on they worked...Your the man.

• Perhaps you could mention which part of my post was the solution, as I mentioned a couple of different actions.

If my post has assisted you, perhaps yu would be kind enough to mark it as the solution.

Regards,

Martin

• This morning i was going to do that just had to get home and get some sleep first. We created a new transcation log http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61635  and deleted the regisrty entry HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NETBACKUP\CURRENTVERSION\CONFIG\USE_VXSS.

thanks again