Forum Discussion

Yuvi
Level 5
12 years ago

Mcafee

NB Version : 7.1.0.4

Problem:

Because of Mcafee we are facing server slowness and cpu alret high , when backup is running and we have already excluded the "installpath:\veritas\netbackup\*"

But eventhough it is making problems as above , please share me the solutions to get rid of it and if so please provide a exclusions to incorporate it to get it rectified.please suggest me.

• There is a T/N of how to exclude Netbackup processes from Mcafee:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56658

8 Replies

• :) I had similar issue 1 year back and exluding the folder won't help. You have to exclude all the processes for NBU in Mcafee.

Open on access scan properties in the Macfee and click on all processes and exclude all the process for NBU

ltid
    nbconsole
    nbemm
    nbevtmgr
    nbjm
    nbnos
    nbpem
    nbproxy
    nbrb
    nbrmms
    nbsl

Might be missing some, please check and exlude all. Not in front of system but let me know in case of any issue and I can post screenshots from my system.

Make sure you do it on media and master or else if you are using EPO dat server do it directly on the EPO server.

• There is a T/N of how to exclude Netbackup processes from Mcafee:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56658

• so CPU utilization is going high by MACAFEE,,,,

No prob we can exclude NETBACKUP process..

We also have to set netbackup path not to scan by MACAFEE ..

Make sure you  have to set this for both read and write... 

• You also need to config McAfee not to scan files on access.

So, if large filesystem on a file server is getting backed up, AV should not scan each file getting backed up.

• The other components of McAfee are access protection so make sure everything is also excluded from that components - and the built in firewall driver which needs to be renamed if it causes any processes to crash

The tech note Nicolai links to has details of this file that needs to be renamed

• Agree, on clients make sure the bpbkar32.exe process activity is excluded from McAfee.

• Off-topic - kind of:

Not long ago I had a Oracle database we could not restore - and all claimed NOTHING was changes until we check the installation log and sure Mcafee was updated. We shut mcafee down and the restore run successfully. 

Do I need to say Mcafee quickly was renamed Crapafee among the DBA's !

• Lots of similar experiences!! In most case McAfee was renamed as Trend and no more issues!!

Of course you should be using Symantec Endpoint Protection - what else could we reccomend!