Forum Discussion

OnRappell
Level 3
11 years ago

Media Write Error (84)

I am playing with Accelerator on a 7.6.0.1 Master Server. I am backing up one server at this time with accelerator and I am going to a DataDomain. When I enabled Accelerator I noticed a difference in backup times, but still not seeing the complete benifit of Accelerator with the following information and errors.

not using change journal data for <F:\>: hard link or reparse point change detected 

not using change journal data for enumeration for <F:\> but will use it for change detection

I enabled "Use Change Journal" under the client settings and recieved the same messages. Each time though I did get a successful backup. It was when I enabled the Accelerator Force Re-Scan I started  having problems.

I began at that point to getting "Media Write Error (84)"

Removed the "Accelerator Force Re-Scan" and the 84 error went away, but backups are still not looking at the Change Journal on the Client.

Any help would be greatful.

• Something sounds really wrong - if all you did was to add the diff schedule it makes no sense why your earlier backups with a retention of 1 month have dissapeared

You wont get rid of the Journal message as accelerator always checks to see if it can use it - but in view of what has gone on i would be inclined to create a new policy from scratch (do not copy the existing one) with all of the streams defined and you daily / weekly/ monthly schedules and run that one (disabling the other one)

The first time it runs it will create a new track log (as it is based on policy name) and run a "real" full backup.

The next full runs will use accelerator and incrementals will refer to the track log to assist them

See if that sorts it out for you as it sounds like something is really wrong somewhere

The only other thing i can think is that someone has expired some of the backups so removing the missing streams and causing accelerator not to work - but if you only actually see 2 jobs that that could not be the case either

Try the new policy and see how that goes over a week or two

12 Replies