Forum Discussion

Ishac
Level 3
5 years ago

Migration from one domain to new domain

Hello, We are migrating from one domain to another in Active Directory. My netbackup is running on a Windows Server 2016 and we planning to use the same server. Any idea on how I can accomplish all ...
    5 years ago

There are a few other things you should consider, as I've seen many a request for "domain" migrations, some can be done easily while others are "non starters".

Firstly an easy rename is possible providing the systems have been configured with "short names" as the "MachineName"
    Check what the output of nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose.

If you have shortname for EVERYTHING as the MachineName then you can simply add an alias for the new domain using the nbemmcmd command, and it will work, if you want to change the FQDN (for cosmetic reasons) this requires a "double rename" to make it happen, again this can be done using nbemmcmd command.

If however you are using FQDN as the MachineName, you will need to use other tools as there is no way to fix this using standard NBU commands. Catman might help, but that will depend on what you are doing with the rest of the environment, as renaming the master is only one part of the environment if domain names are changing....

Other things you need to look at:-

Do any media servers / storage servers also use FQDN and the domain you want to retire?  renaming MSDP  is not a simple process, so those components, may not be renamable. (Catman used to support this before 8.0, but since then I have seen more failures that sucess stories when it comes to media server renames.)

Certificates, they are tied to  hostid, but also contain the host name, so you may need to re-create / re-depoly the CA too, and this can be an awkward process, resulting in the need to run commands on  each of the clients too.

So while renaming the master may be one part of the process, it is likley its not the only thing that needs to be done and you probably need to get some professional services to assist you with this.