Forum Discussion

Anushi
Level 3
9 years ago

MS SQL Restore Error

Hi All,

I have NetBackup Master 7.6.1.2 in Symnatec Appliance 5230.

I could run FUll Backup , Differential and Transcation log Backup successfully. When we are testing the restore, i could able to restore the Full Backup successfully. But when i try to restore differential backup, its restoring Full Backup successfully but differential fails. 

I couldn't find much detail in dbclient log. Attached here the script and detailed status. Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

• Hello All, 

Thanks for your reply. I resolved an error. There were one more backup software DPM was taking backup as well. Thats the reson the Differential backup was inconsistent and it couldn't able to restore. When we stopped DPM backup and took fresh backup through netbackup and restore worked successfully.

8 Replies

• Error 2809, see recent similar:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-2809-sql-restore-0

• Hi sdo,

Thanks for your reply. I did in the same way. I could able to restore Full Backup but not from the Diferential Backup. Atached here the dbclient log

• Please post dbclient log as .txt file. Some Connect members are contributing from mobile devices and cannot open rar files.
  • Hello,

I think there are two erroneous things in your restore script :

1/ you use "NetBackup" logical name for both .mdf and .ldf file. It is not possible from MS SQL point of view

2/ there is a backup ID "xxxxx.~.7.001of001.20151004180004..C". It  is a strange format, it should contain a name of a database and also ".db." string

• I am wondering how you are going about to restore Differential backup?

If I understand the manual correctly, you cannot restore a Differential only.
    Extract from the manual:

Select the database image that you want to restore, as follows:
    ■ To restore a full backup, select the image of the database backup.
    ■ To restore a full backup and a differential database backup, click the "+"
    and select a differential backup.
    The full backup is automatically selected when you select a differential.

**********************************************************************************

Can you confirm that there is no access to the database during the restore?
    Is it possible that someone opened db's to validate after the full restore?

The log unfortunately does not tell us enough.
    If logging level is at 0, please try again with level 3.

I had a similar experience about a year ago. With level 3 logging there was a bit more info, but not detailed enough. 
    When we googled the error, we found a procedure to check for user access that would cause restore failure.

• Hi Michael,

I had changed the DB name to Netbackup.so the mdf and ldf has netbackup and netbackup_log respectively. And i changed the image name of client to xxxx.

Marianne,

I did the same way, when i select differential backup, it automatically selected the full backup image. Once the Full backup restore completed, we could see the Database is in recovery mode and then diferenial fails.

I sent the dbclient log with maximum logging level. Database =9 Verbose = 5 and General = 3

• Hello All, 

Thanks for your reply. I resolved an error. There were one more backup software DPM was taking backup as well. Thats the reson the Differential backup was inconsistent and it couldn't able to restore. When we stopped DPM backup and took fresh backup through netbackup and restore worked successfully.