Forum Discussion

9 years ago

MSDP Catalog Protection

I have read through the documentation on how to setup the policy to protect your MSDP catalog data, but to me it seems excessive in a way. Why can you not just create a normal Standard policy type vi...
    9 years ago

From what I've seen so far... to me... the items to add to both the "selection list" of a backup policy AND to an "include list" on the client (i.e. MSDP server)  is the output from "pddeDR list_dr"  because this is the list of what MSDP thinks it needs to protect.

I haven't seen, or thought of yet, a situation where the two are not the same or might not be the same, or where we might need either to be different - but then I'm tired now, and not thinking properly anymore.

To my mind, if the selection list of a policy and the include list of a client are the same, then they can never be excluded - unless we goof with a "policy name" and/or "schedule name" file name extension on an "include list" - and/or the policy name or schedule names changes at some point in the future.

And this is all based on the proviso that you spotted earlier!    Does the "drcontrol -new_policy" command do anything else behind the scenes?  (which won't be done if we don't execute it).  Can we ever be sure?