Forum Discussion

briggsy
Level 4
11 years ago

MSDP pool replication

Hi all,

I'm implementing a new netbackup solution and am after some advice please !

Service consists of 1 Master (vm) and 4 physical media servers, all running windows 2008r2 and netbackup 7.5.0.6. - all are on the same Domain.

The media servers are split across 2 datacentres ( 2 in each dc) and each media server has a 25TB MSDP pool.

The design I've been given to work from states that each MSDP pool in one datacentre is to replicate to a pool in the other datacentre, and also that the reverse is true ....eg.

----------------

datacentre 1

MediaA with MSDP-A   and MediaB with MSDP-B

datacentre 2

MediaC with MSDP-C and MediaD with MSDP-D

----------------

The design has all MSDP pools being used as Backup targets, but also ...

MSDP-A replicates to MSDP-C

MSDP-B replicates to MSDP-D

MSDP-C replicates to MSDP-A

MSDP-D replicates to MSDP-B

I don't think this is possible ? all are on the same domain and managed by the same Master, and the help states "

Caution: Choose the target storage server or servers carefully. A target storage server must not also be a storage server for the source domain.

Can someone confirm please ?, and also suggest another way of achieving this ....i did think of setting up an SLP with a secondary operation of either Replication or Duplication ?

any help appreciated !  smiley

• What you want is perfectly possible but as Yashikura says use duplication and not replication

Just add each of the stages you want into Storage Lifecycle policies - based on what you say you need at least 4 SLP's (but bear in mind you may want daily, weekly and monthly versions of those)

As they are all MSDP they will all use optimised de-dupe when they copy data between each other.

You may find you need to give each media server access to the other media server via the storage server credentails section

• Hi briggsy,

from what you are saying, having one NetBackup Domain the AIR is not applicable here.

What you need to do is Duplications between two MSDP servers using a secondary operation in an SLP.

note that every duplication between two MSDP's is a Optimised-Duplication, meaning that only the unique data (data segments not yet stored at the destination) is transferred every time.

hope this clears things a bit.

Kind Regards,

11 Replies