Forum Discussion

Tanmoy1
Level 4
14 years ago

Multiplexing and Multistreaming Relation.

I need to know the relation between Multiplexing and Multistreaming setting for Netbackup.How can I determine the number of concurrent jobs for a given setting such as Multiplexing,Multistreaming,Job...
    14 years ago

Hi,

Multistreaming relates to the client, i.e how many streams 1 client can send. This is controlled with "allow multiple datastreams" on the policy. This is also controlled in the master host properties > global attributes, "maximum jobs per client" setting, and finally you can also limit the "jobs/streams" per policy on the policy as well.

Multiplexing is how many streams (from a client) can go onto a tape (or media). This is controlled on the storage unit properties (Enable Multiplexing > Maximum Streams per drive), and also setup on the schedule (media multiplexing) in a policy. The storage unit being the ultimate decider though. If you set 2 on the storage unit, and 4 in the schedule, then the jobs will use 2 drives, with 2 streams. All of this assuming you've allowed the client to send 4 streams through the settings described in the first paragraph.