Forum Discussion

11 years ago

NBU configuration with NDMP Host

Hi All,

I need one help for configuring my NAS device with NBU 7.5.  as I am new to NBU.

I had installed NBU on RHEL-5, Linux machine, and trying to attache my NAS device to take backup via NDMP.

While creating "Storage Unit" in NBU, I am not getting option of  "NDMP Host". Does anyone know why?

I am getting only 2 options, "Basic Disk" and "NearStore". No other option is displaying on GUI. (I am using NBU JAVA console)

I had already added my NAS device under "Credentials" --> "NDMP host". It is getting listed over there.

Even under "Host Properties" --> "Master Server" --> "NDMP" I had added credentials.

Can anyone guide me, how to configure NBU for NAS devcice, to take backup via NDMP?

Thank you.

• You still have not told us what make/model NAS device you need to back up?

What exactly do you need to back up on the NAS?

We can see that you have configured a disk storage unit called NAS-1 that will store backups on a mount point called /mnt/vol-1.
    Please tell us more about this mount point. 
    Is this local disk on the master? Or NFS mount on the NAS? 

The policy shows that you are backing up a client called  linux-1.cluster-12.com. 
    This is your master server, right?
    And the path that you are backing up is 
    /mnt/vol-1/nbu-test?
    The same path that you are writing your backup to?

This is not going to work.

You cannot backup a mount point to itself.

Firstly - you need backup storage. Either tape or disk.

If you want to backup the NAS, you cannot use storage on the NAS to write backups to.

What is confusing is that you seem to have another storage unit that is ALSO called NAS-1 on server linux-1.cluster-12.com with a mount point called /NAS-1/NBU-BACKUP?

How is this possible?
    Please help me to understand?

To backup the NAS via NDMP protocol, the policy type needs to be NDMP.
    Select a Storage unit that is NOT on the NAS.

The client name needs to be NAS-1. 
    The backup selection needs to be the name of a volume/mount point directly on the NAS (not NFS mount on the backup server).

Please take your time and read through NetBackup for NDMP Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5164 

Your configuration will either be  chapter 4: Configuring NDMP backup to NetBackup media servers (remote NDMP)
    or chapter 6: Remote NDMP and disk devices
    (chapter 6 actually tells you that Media Manager (tape) or Disk storage units can be used on the media server. )

Hope this helps.....

15 Replies