Forum Discussion

7 years ago

NDMP backup Cifs

Hello,

I am having some weird things with a NDMP Backup. I configured a backup of a Netapp CIFS share. This has worked. Then the Netapp admin decided to change the IP-address of the V-Filer where the share was. They forgot to change the IP-address in DNS. That was changed now, and now I can do
tpautoconf -verify netapp_host
tpautoconf -probe netapp_host
Both the commands succeed. But when I want to add the share in the policy and when I press browse there in the policy to see the available shares I don't see the shares from the V-filer which I have added in Netbackup. I see only the shares from another V-Filer. Which I should not be able to see according to the Netapp-admin.

I removed the policy, I removed the Netapp-Host and added both again. But I still see the wrong shares. When I browse to the shares on the V-Filer in Windows Explorer I do see the Cifs-share I want to backup.

We use Ontap 8.3, Netbackup 7.7.3 on a Windows 2008R2 server.

Regards,

Rob

Rob_Dullaart
    7 years ago

Well, I have some progress.
    On the Netapp itself I configured NDMP at the level of the node. I also do some Netapp, but the other Netapp admin now configured NDMP at the level of the Vfiler. Now when I do browse in the policy I see the right volumes, also the verify looks good. Configuring NDMP at the level of the node will be unsupported soon, so I understood.

Also the Netapp admins found out that the Ontap version we had can give problems with CIFS as a cause of dataloss. Now they updated the Ontap version to a higher version.

But now it still doesn't work. I still get error 99, which is a bit of a generic error in my opion. I am still busy troubleshooting with the Netapp admin. I will let you guys know what comes out.

Rob_Dullaart
    7 years ago

we use Ontap 9.X, we are save.

But I think I found the remaining issue. The Vfiler has a different name.

myfiler01: vserver show -vserver myfiler1-cifs -fields allowed-protocols
    vserver         allowed-protocols
    --------------- -----------------
    nlbxtsan3a-cifs cifs,ndmp

myfiler01: vserver show -vserver myfiler01-cifs -fields allowed-protocols
    There are no entries matching your query.

The error is on the filer site. I was targeting the second.

11 Replies

• IMHO, there is still something wrong with DNS.
    tpautoconf commands work because the name is mapped to the other NDMP host.

Try to use the IP address in the CIFS path and not the hostname.
  • Hi Rob_Dullaart,

Did you try to clean nbu host cache?

Unix
    install_path/usr/openv/netbackup/bin)# ./bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Windows
    install_path\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro

• Sorry Rob... but hosts file on backup server(s) ?
    • Hello All,

I double checked the DNS, there is no reverse entry, but the vfilers ip-address is only used for this vfiler.

I deleted the NDMP host in NBU and I added it again but now with the IP-address as hostname. In the policy backup path I also used the IP-address instead of the hostname.

I placed the vfiler in the host-file of the backup servers and I cleaned the host-cache. But it is still the same. I only see the wrong shares. Yesterday I tried to backup one of the shares I see and that did work. When I add the share by typing the name it fails.

I am going to start allover, delete the NDMP host, clean the host-cache, delete the policy, check the hostfiles. And configure it all as it should be.

Regards,

Rob

Rob_Dullaart
        Level 5

Result is the same. I still see the wrong shares, also this shares should not even be visable.

this is the output of tpautoconf -verify myfiler-cifs

Connecting to host "myfiler-cifs" as user "root"...
        Waiting for connect notification message...
        Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 4...
        Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 4
          host supports MD5 authentication
        Getting MD5 challenge from host...
        Logging in using MD5 method...
        Host info is:
          host name "myfiler-03"
          os type "NetApp"
          os version "NetApp Release 8.3.2"
          host id "0536933904"
        Login was successful
        Host supports LOCAL backup/restore
        Host supports 3-way backup/restore

What I noticed in this output is that it gives a different host name, this "myfiler-03" is also a vfiler, but it has a different ip-address in DNS.