Forum Discussion

sksujeet
Level 6
8 years ago

Net Backup License

Need some help. I have a client who is keeping the NBU in his environment just for the restore purpose of long term retention. He has just 1 master server running on 7.6.0.4. Recently there are som...
    quebek
    8 years ago

Hi

I do speak under correction - but when I was working in a company which was VRTS partner I was told that if you will stop paying maintenance fee to VRTS you can use NBU release which was available at the last day of your active maintenance. Having said that (if I am correct) you should check if on the day when your maintenace did expire there was already on the market 7.7.2 (which is having the fix you want to have)... If it was not you can not patch if it was my take is you can - but again it passed long time since when I was working in the other company.

If you will find out you cannot patch it - just turn off this legacy env and power it up only when restore request will come.

Marianne
    8 years ago

My guess is that the 7.6 license will work, but where will you obtain 7.7.x software without appropriate 7.7.x entitlement?

andrew_mcc1
    8 years ago

I believe this situation is a NetBackup 7.6 KEY will work on version 7.7 & 8.0, however a key is not a license and you would NOT be licensed to run 7.7 or 8.0. You will also not be able to download the full media release needed for the upgrade.

I believe your options are to either to renew the license for the remaining server or take measures to mitigate the vulnerabilities and run the older (unsupported) version. Presumably if it is only used for restores it can be switched off much of the time?

Andrew