Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Netbackup 7.1 Exchange 2010

Hello Everybody

We are migrating the Lotus Notes email application to Outlook and we need to project a backup enviroment for the Exchange 2010.

My doubt is i can do a backup off my offline database? My servers are configured like: There is 2 on my HQ that are Clustered and a 3rd one that are on my Datacenter. This 2 first servers do the real replication and with DAG the 3rd syncronize all the database but stay offline. I just need to clarify if when i install the Netbackup Database agent on my 3rd server it will do the backup normally and will not cause any problem because of the DAG.

Other doubt is if all this scene works the backup will affect consideraly my network link? like it will demand so much from my network because of this backup?

The master server of netbackup are on HQ not on the Datacenter.

Thanks Folks..

• The NetBackup client needs to be on all nodes of the DAG, mailbox servers and CAS Servers to allow for the communication that goes on when it resolves the name of the DAG to the CAS server and then that tells NetBAckup where to find the passive database.

All of those should also have the NetBackup Client Service and the NetBackup Legacy Network Service running as an appropriate Exchange Admin accoun to get full access to the databases.

Also remember to fill in the Distributed Application Mappings sxection of the Master Servers Host Properties to allow for restores and if you want to use GRT during the backup you will need NFS installing on the Mailbox servers and media servers too

Hope this helps

4 Replies

• You can select to use the active or passive database during an Exchange DAG backup (or even passive but active if passive is not available)

If you have a NetBackup client installed on all DAG Members (mailbox servers and CAS Servers) then NetBackup will work out where your passive copy is (your 3rd Server) and will perform the backup from that back to your Media Server.

The initial communication is minor between the DAG Members, the real bandwidth useage is the backup from your 3rd server to the media server doing the backup. If that is cross site then you will need the link to cope with it.

The problem is that iif you set it as passive copy only and your replication has failed then the job will fail - generally passive if available but active if not is a better choice as you always get the backups, though at the cost of the cross site link usage

Hope this helps

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comments. Just one doubt if i select just to do the backup from the passive server (3rd one) i need to setup on the backup the DAG name and the DAG credentials or i can use just the information's from the server? Once we tried to do the backup from a passive server but the backup just recognize the active servers that were only. Then if i need to backup the passive server i can install the netbackup agent just on this passive server or is necessary to install in all DAG servers?

• The NetBackup client needs to be on all nodes of the DAG, mailbox servers and CAS Servers to allow for the communication that goes on when it resolves the name of the DAG to the CAS server and then that tells NetBAckup where to find the passive database.

All of those should also have the NetBackup Client Service and the NetBackup Legacy Network Service running as an appropriate Exchange Admin accoun to get full access to the databases.

Also remember to fill in the Distributed Application Mappings sxection of the Master Servers Host Properties to allow for restores and if you want to use GRT during the backup you will need NFS installing on the Mailbox servers and media servers too

Hope this helps