Forum Discussion

nanochan
Level 3
13 years ago

Netbackup 7.1 slow backup speed

Hi,

My backup scenario is as follows:

Server -> HBA Fibre Channel 1 -> Quantum Scalar i80​​

but the backup speed i've attained is a slow 5000KB/s - 40000KB/s instead of anywhere closer to 4Gb/s.

is there a way to further optimize my backup so it could be quicker?

thanks.

• On each Media Server ensure that Program Files\veritas\netbackup\db\config\ exists (it doesnt by default)

in that directory create two files with no extension called SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS

Open then using notepad and in the SIZE one put 262144 and in the NUMBER one put 32

Save the file (Making sure notepad doesnt add .txt on the end)

No need to re-start any services they take immediate effect next time you run a backup.

If you back up to disk you can use similar ones - just create another two files with _DISK on the end, you can use the same value for the number but a good value for the size for disk is 1048576

Hope this helps

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Need more details:

Backup speed from 1 client or multiple clients?

Are you using multiplexing? (Assuming you are writing directly to tape).

What is the Netbackup Server and client OS? 

• Need more detail information about the spesification of your master server and your client.

• Have you tuned the BPTM buffers ?. It's the number #1 tewak in Neetbackup

See the Symantec NetBackup™ 7.0 - 7.1 Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4483

Page 122 and forward.

Just to show what a difference the buffer settings really do for a LTO3 drive:

Before tuning: 19MB/sec (default values)

Second tuning attempt: 49MB/sec (using 128K block size, 64 buffers)

Final result: 129MB/sec  (using 128K block size and 256 buffers)

Since it's a LOT3 drive have a native transfer rate of 80MB/sec any further tuning attempt are meaningless.

• just a single server backup to its own.

i enable multiplexing it but have no idea what it is for.

Symantec Netbackup 7.1 + windows 2008 R2

LTO-4 tapes

• Hi As you have LTO4 drive(s) you should find the optimum is using 262144 in the size data buffers file and 32 in the number buffers file This will apply to new or re-labelled tapes only as previously used ones will have their block size written to the tape header Hope this helps
  • hi,

where can i change this ? i don't see it anywhere in my Netbackup 7.1

• On each Media Server ensure that Program Files\veritas\netbackup\db\config\ exists (it doesnt by default)

in that directory create two files with no extension called SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS

Open then using notepad and in the SIZE one put 262144 and in the NUMBER one put 32

Save the file (Making sure notepad doesnt add .txt on the end)

No need to re-start any services they take immediate effect next time you run a backup.

If you back up to disk you can use similar ones - just create another two files with _DISK on the end, you can use the same value for the number but a good value for the size for disk is 1048576

Hope this helps