Forum Discussion

RLeon
Level 6
13 years ago

Netbackup 7.5 Accelerator and Client-side Deduplication

Hi all,

I've gone through the parts about Accelerator in the 7.5 Admin guide.
I've read though the 7.5 Deduplication guide.
I've read the "Netbackup Accelerator Feature Briefing" document that is only accessible in the seclusive Symantec IQ for Partners portal.

I understand that:
"NetBackup Accelerator should be regarded as a complimentary technology of client deduplication, not replacement for it".

From what I gathered, there doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to using Accelerator.
It almost seems like there is no reason not to enable it, when client-side deduplication is already in use.

My 1st question:
Are there situations in which Accelerator should NOT be enabled when doing client-side deduplication?

I know that Accelerator only supports two policy types, "MS-Windows" and "Standard";
if you disable Accelerator, you could still use client-side deduplication with other policy types such as "Flashbackup".

But apart from that, is there a reason not to use Accelerator when using client-side deduplication?

2nd question:
To force client-side deduplication, the following would have to be set for a client:
  Host Properties > Master Servers > Client Attribute > Always use client-side deduplication

What about if I enable Accelerator in the policy attributes WITHOUT setting the above?
Seeing that Accelerator is based on (or works with) Client-side deduplication, what would happen if I don't specify "Always use client-side deduplication"? would Accelerator still work as it is supposed to? Worst still, what if I mistakenly set "Always use the media server for deduplication" for the client?

If Accelerator would still work, then that means by simplying enabling Accelerator in a policy, the "Always use client-side deduplication" attribute is automatically forced on all the clients in the policy.
If it wouldn't work, then the guides should have mentioned that you have to set "Always use client-side deduplication" for clients inside an Accelerator enabled policy.

Thanks all,

RLeon

•  

Hi RLeon et al,

Sorry to be late in this party. You guys have a great discussion going here. In the interest of saving time for someone newly following this thread, I tried to consolidate the questions and provide answers in this blog . Some of these might be obvious to most of you and some of them might have already been answered, I am listing them just to give a full perspective. 

As Jed already mentioned, if you have a specific issue with growing track log, please do work with technical support. 

19 Replies