Forum Discussion

Tracy_Fry
Level 4
11 years ago

NetBackup Accelerator

Hi All,

i am unable to enable accelerator feature for ms-windows policy - wehn i try i get the message - "To use the accelerator, select storage units from supported storage server: PureDisk Deduplication (PDDO), Media Server Deduplication (MSDP), Symantec clouds, and other qualified storage servers"
- policy storage type is PureDisk"

NetBackup 7.5.0.6

Policy storage - PureDisk

i wondered if anyone has had this problem, i have so far carried out the following:-

1 - checked license info and can see listed - Feature ID      = 88 Accelerator +

2 - have updated the device mappings file and running on version 1.119

3 - have tried creating the policy from the EMM server - but still get the same error.

i have followed these ref docs - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189730 and http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=HOWTO68476 and still no joy

i plan to upgrade to 7.6 but my current version should enable me to us this feature

Many thanks for any assistance...

Tracy

• It should - your Storage Servers have upgraded but not your disk pools

So just use:

nbdevconfig -changedp -stype PureDisk -dp [disk pool name] -setattribute OptimizedImage

And you should get the last flag set as required - then your policy should work!!

Fingers crossed!

17 Replies

• Try it against the disk pool too:

nbdevquery -listdp -stype PureDisk -U

Just in case it is the disk pool that doesn't have the flag

• ok so have run it against the disk pool and get the following

E:\>nbdevquery -listdp -stype PureDisk -U
    Disk Pool Name   : HQ_*****_PDP
    Disk Pool Id     : HQ_NB-3_PDP
    Disk Type        : PureDisk
    Status           : UP
    Flag             : Patchwork
    Flag             : Visible
    Flag             : OpenStorage
    Flag             : SingleStorageServer
    Flag             : CopyExtents
    Flag             : AdminUp
    Flag             : InternalUp
    Flag             : LifeCycle
    Flag             : CapacityMgmt
    Flag             : FragmentImages
    Flag             : Cpr
    Flag             : FT-Transfer
    Raw Size (GB)    : 31440.39
    Usable Size (GB) : 31440.39
    Num Volumes      : 1
    High Watermark   : 97
    Low Watermark    : 91
    Max IO Streams   : 8
    Comment          :
    Storage Server   : svr-*****-1 (UP)

should the flag be set here as well?

• It should - your Storage Servers have upgraded but not your disk pools

So just use:

nbdevconfig -changedp -stype PureDisk -dp [disk pool name] -setattribute OptimizedImage

And you should get the last flag set as required - then your policy should work!!

Fingers crossed!

• Good Morning Mark,

That did it! - I ran nbdevconfig -changedp -stype PureDisk -dp [disk pool name] -setattribute OptimizedImage and the OptimizedImage flag is now present and i am able to enable the accelerator feature.

Thank you very much for your help,

i had searched a lot of symantec documentation and could not find any reference to this at all

Have a great weekend

Tracy

• Some additional information for this solution. This worked when i used the admin console from the media server where the device_mappings.txt was located here - installpath\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\global\device_mappings.txt

In order to make this work from my machine i had to copy the device_mappings.txt file to the same location - see the following tech note - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189730

• Glad you are sorted - had this happen to me on one site .. first the accelerator option was greyed out as we had a dodgy license key, once we got a new key it didn't work for a very similar reason to yourself ... just had to dig through all of my notes / e-mails to jog my grey matter of what the commands were

• Yes, I had to get an updated license key as well! Let's hope the results are worth it....

Thanks again.