Forum Discussion

Presnev
Level 3
13 years ago

NetBackup Catalog size on Disk

Hi,

NetBackup Catalog Size on disk in my environment is around 100 GB and when I do a catalog backup, it backs up around 150 GB.

Is it because of a fragmented disk in Windows?

Is it advisory to do Defragmentation of the Disk in which NetBackup catalog reside?

NBU version : 6.5.5

• I agree with the above excellent posts - the main  data is in the images directory - it also backs up the EMM and BMR etc. databases but generally there would not be very large

Check in Windows Explorer to make sure that the file system your catalog is on, or at least the images or sub folders, as not using file system compression - not a good idea for the catalog area

Hope this helps

16 Replies

• Take a look at your drive in Windows Explorer - do any of the folders show up as blue?

If you select in the columns to show the Attributes this should also show up if anything is compressed

Plus ... if you right click a blue folder, select Properties and then on the General tab select the Advanced button there is an option in there to compress the folder - unckecking that should uncompress the files - but make sure you have enough disk space to leave at least 10% free (preferably a lot more!)

You may be able to do it at a top level "blue" folder or may have to uncompress folder by folder

• I understand what you mean by those Blue Folders, but I do not see any of them in the E drive(where NetBackup resides).

I only see them at the System Drive(C Drive) and those are the ones inside the C:\WINDOWS folder, with Windows Update uninstallable folders, I believe that they're normal.

• Some of the folder in your catalog drive must be compressed and their attributes should show it

On the properties page you showed earlier, if you click the Advanced button on there is the compress files and folders option checked?

If so you can uncked it and ensure you select apply to all folders and sub folders and it will uncompress them

This will take a long time and NetBackup should be quiet whilst it does its stuff

I cannot stress enough you must ensure you have enough disk space to actually uncompress it all

Here is what the attribute looks like:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/ATLAS/images_v1/285477/capture_004.jpg

• I checked the attribute whether it is C, and it is not. I browsed into some of the directories inside Program Files as well as the NetBackup, images, NetBackup DB folders, but none of them were.

Also the Advanced Tab doesn't show that the compression option is enabled. I have logged a case with Symantec now, I thought this was easy.

• Your screen shot shows 125GB of data but 64GB on disk so something is compressed unless you have something like Enterprises Vault archiving anything - hope not! Maybe you can do a directory listing to show the compressed files
  • OK - just had another thought on this one ....

As you are struggling to find and folders showing compression it may just be the catalog files themselves that have been compressed.

As you are on Windows with an NTFS partition this could have been as a result of someone choosing Catalog Compression in the Master Servers Host Properties - Global Attributes section.

This tech note describes what this does:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34441

So if you want to undo this (uncmpress it) you need to follow the correct proceedure - but again I must stress that it is vital you have enough disk space to be able to do it - which I don't believe you do at the moment.

Please see this tech note that describes the correct proceedure to uncompress it if you decide you want to:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34467

Having said that your question was "NetBackup Catalog Size on disk in my environment is around 100 GB and when I do a catalog backup, it backs up around 150 GB" and I believe that the question has been answered based on the figures you have provided (Size = 125GB, Size on Disk =64.3GB) which clearly shows compression is being used - and I suspect it is NetBackup doing this compression.

Hope this helps and puts you in a position to deal with the issue