Forum Discussion

rcdauria
Level 4
9 years ago

Sizing Netbackup Appliance MSDP Catalog

Hi Guys,

I've checked the guides (Netbackup Appliance 5230 Admin Guide & Netbackup Appliance Performance and Tuning guide) and couldn't find this:

Anyone knows how to size the "MSDP Catalog" partition when setting up a Netbackup Appliance 5230?

Please note this is not the Netbackup Catalog itself, it's the MSDP Catalog/Database partition.

Talking about appliance media servers with 112TB and 144TB capacities (appliances+shelves), probably using the entire capaticy with MSDPs.

Tks a lot,

Rafael

• On one of my 5230, the MSDP catalog parition is 500GB in size with 2GB used - for a 3 shelf appliance holding about 258 TB of backup data, dedupe down to 58TB of actual used disk, and the real NetBackup Catalog is 113GB on a 1440GB partition.

Personally, I don't think you need to wory about the size of MSDP's own mini catalog.

Here's a top tip - do not use the disk in the appliance head unit for your MSDP space - it's not performant enough.  Instead just carve some Advanced Disk from the disk on teh server head unit.  Only put MSDP on the disk space from the storage shelves.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • On one of my 5230, the MSDP catalog parition is 500GB in size with 2GB used - for a 3 shelf appliance holding about 258 TB of backup data, dedupe down to 58TB of actual used disk, and the real NetBackup Catalog is 113GB on a 1440GB partition.

Personally, I don't think you need to wory about the size of MSDP's own mini catalog.

Here's a top tip - do not use the disk in the appliance head unit for your MSDP space - it's not performant enough.  Instead just carve some Advanced Disk from the disk on teh server head unit.  Only put MSDP on the disk space from the storage shelves.

• Yep sdo, that helps!

Also, thanks for the insight about the MSDP disks. The guide also states that, and it makes a lot of sense.

If someone else could share your MSDP Catalog usage, just for our information, that would be great.

Thanks guys!

• (it also that would be great if Veritas put some kind of information about that sizing on the guides)

cool