Forum Discussion

Lok_Koo
Level 3
11 years ago

Netbackup Licensing Requirement

Hi All,   Sorry but it was a bit tough to find a precise answer suitable for my situation.   I have 5 servers in my environment, 4 of them are production servers and are all connected to a SA...
    11 years ago

Hi,

You license servers, be it the master or a media server, with a server license. This license allows you to write backups to backups storage (be it tape or disk).

For tape drives in libraries you need a library based tape drive. You don't need a license for a internal tape drive.

For clients that write to a server accross the lan you need a standard client.

You can also just license based on your front end data size (the size of all the data on your clients in TB). Then you get most licenses incl.

Ask your partner about licensing.

Your idea to have 3 masters is not very inline with how we do things in NetBackup though. We usually deploy 1 master (in disaster recovery sites maybe another) to control the entire environment. In your environment that would be

1 server is the master and 4 client,

or maybe

1 master, and 1 media (UAT), and the 3 clients.

Your idea to move the tape libary around is possible but a bit of a hassle as you'll need to change the device configuration.

Your solution sounds more like something one would see in Backup Exec.