Forum Discussion

srikanth09
Level 4
13 years ago

Netbackup Migration

Hello Everybody.

We have implemented NBU 7.1 for backups. We have 1 master server(standard) and 12 clients(standard). We are going to upgarde the master server to Enterprise and one of the clients to Enterprise.

Once this is completed, we have to migrate the master server to another physical server. The physical server has all the hardware same as the exisitng hardware. Only the hostname and IP address will change.

The tasks will be :

1.Install Enterprise server on new server.

2. Restore master server using latest catalog backup.

Please let me know if the above steps are sufficient for performing the migration.

Please let me know what is the time required for performing the migration and do we require the existing physical server to be down during migration?

I am new to NBU, it would be really helpful if anyone can share any document available for performing hardware migration.

Thanks & Regards

Sri

• OK, three choices:

1. Keep hostname the same
    2. Get consulting services to migrate and change hostame
    3. Use Recovery without Import method to transfer images from old master to new master, put all assigned tapes on old master in new, RESTORE pool on new master plus write-protect them, keep Media List report from old master to keep an eye on media expiration dates. Manually move tapes as images expire to Scratch pool and remove write-protect.
      Only do this with new master still on 7.1.
      See http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/nbu_wp_replicatingbucatalogs_103003.pdf 

24 Replies