Forum Discussion

jroque
Level 3
10 years ago

Netbackup service auto start on OS X 10.10.x

Hello,

I have installed NetBackup 7.6.1 agent (with 7.6.1.1 update) in several OS X 10.10.x systems and it seems to work, except for one problem.

It does not start automaticaly after a client reboot.

I searched for a solution for this problem and found this post from 15/April/2015 (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-service-auto-start-os-x-1010).

I am running NetBackup 7.6.1.1 and I can install the client on a Mac OS X 10.10.3 and 10.10.4.

After the client installation I am able to run a backup.

As soon as the client reboots, the NetBackup agent does not start automaticaly.

If I go to "/Library/StartupItems/netbackup/" and run "./netbackup start" on a terminal window with root privileges, then the agent start and I can perform backups again. Also works with a "sudo /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bp.start_all".

How can I define the NetBackup agents to run automaticaly os OS X 10.10.x ??

I have already checked the folders and files:

Macintosh OSX
/Library/StartupItems/netbackup/Resources/netbackup
/Library/StartupItems/netbackup/StartupParameters.plist
/Library/StartupItems/netbackup/netbackup

How can I know that the "StartupParameters.plist" is correct?

Thanks in advance

José Roque

• 4) With base v7.6.1 installed, then upgraded NetBackup to v7.6.1.1 - rebooted, and NBU services did not auto start.

5) With v7.6.1.1 installed, then patched to v7.6.1.2, rebooted, and the the NetBackup Client services did auto start.

6) Reverted VM to snaphot where it was running v7.6.1, booted, and services had not started, then upgraded from base v7.6.1 to v7.6.1.2, rebooted and NBU services had started.

So, it would seem that your quick solution is to patch the problem Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.4 clients to v7.6.1.2.  It is generally accepted that it is ok to patch a client to a triple dot patch version higher than media and/or master within the same double dot minor version - but this does assume that there's nothing in the Mac v7.6.1.2 client which does actually require a v7.6.1.2 media or master.

I guess the next step would be for you to review the latest EEB version 8 listing for NetBackup v7.6.1.2 and see if anything has been added to v7.6.1.2 Client for Mac which requires a media server to also be v7.6.1.2.  The lastest EEB listing for v7.6.1.2 is here:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC6085.html

19 Replies