Forum Discussion

nbuengr2
Level 4
10 years ago

NetBackup unable to detect Tape

Hello Experts!

One of our clients, is having a hard time adding their tape in their NetBackup Software, but the tape can be detected by the Windows Server

I'll provide some screenshots, and I hope everybody here can help me. Im just a beginner for this kind of issue.

Thanks12345.JPG

• What exactly is connected to this server? A tape library or just a single tape drive? The screenshot shows one tape drive. Yesterday you showed attempt to add a robot. If you know the make/model of the devices connected to the server, you should be able to find documentation on the vendor web site on how to connect/add them at OS level. Riaan has asked for output of scan command. If the OS sees devices and if they respond to scsi_commands, NBU will be able to use them. Simply use the Device config wizard.

6 Replies

• Can you see the robot under Windows Device Manager > Unkown medium changer

Can you post the output of the scan command (located in Veritas/Volmgr/bin)

• Your post says 'tape' but you are showing screenshot of attempt to add a robot manually? Windows Device Manager must see robot as 'Unknown Medium Changer ' and also see Tape drives with manufacturer drivers installed.
  • Hi , 

First devices need to be visible in the OS level if they are showing there check you are having device drivers so that your devices can communicate with the NBU .

• Hi All,

I've got these screenshot from our client seems that OS can see the tape drive.

Can you please provide documents now how to make netbackup able to detect tape.

I'm willing to read them.

Thanks

• What exactly is connected to this server? A tape library or just a single tape drive? The screenshot shows one tape drive. Yesterday you showed attempt to add a robot. If you know the make/model of the devices connected to the server, you should be able to find documentation on the vendor web site on how to connect/add them at OS level. Riaan has asked for output of scan command. If the OS sees devices and if they respond to scsi_commands, NBU will be able to use them. Simply use the Device config wizard.
  • Hi All,

Sorry, our client told me that its a tape library, but as seen on the screenshot its tape drive. So basically if its a tape drive I can use the device config wizard of NBU. The connection they're referring is via iscsi.

The only goal of our client is to connect the NBU to the tape and import the backup from tape.

Thanks