Forum Discussion

15 years ago

NetBackup Windows admin console very slow

Hi all,

We have NetBackup 6.5.4 Enterprise on a SPARC/Solaris 10 server here.  Personally I use the Java client (jnbSA) to admin the server from my Linux workstation but some of our guys use the native Windows admin gui (i.e. not Java gui) from their PCs to do the same.

This all worked fine until last monday.  I had to rearrange the network interfaces on the server in advance of creating some trunked ports for extra bandwidth to the server so I moved the main NIC for the machine (i.e. the one that the backup and admin clients talk to it on) to a different physical port - in Solaris terms I renamed the "/etc/hostname.ce0" file to "/etc/hostname.ce2" and rebooted the machine.  Prior to that the ce2 interface had been used for something else but that was moved to ce0 so in effect, I've swapped the two interfaces around (and obviously the cables too).

Now, the windows admin gui runs very slow at certain things, in particular accessing the media on the server - the windows guys use this for doing daily tape ejects and imports, the windows gui sits there for ages saying "Opening EMM database".  It does eventually get there after a couple of minutes or so.  The Java gui that I use still works fine, however.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Niall
  • Open java console on the same machine. Find logs of java console. It will show you info about ip addresses that can't be resolved.
    My customers had the same issue and I've found that it was a problem with ip addresses configured on Master Server but not defined in dns. Windows console hanged for few minutes but java worked fine. Java console showed error with resolving of ip address but there was no timeout.

14 Replies

• Java console for windows is available on NB windows installation CD.. (additional products).. Then you have to install maintenance pack for java on windows.
    Log files are located at <install path>/veritas/netbackup/logs/user_ops/nbjlogs

• Thankyou so much!  You were right - the java console logs mentioned a hostname of another interface which we use with crossover cable to connect to a DataDomain de-dupe disk backup unit.  It was saying it couldn't resolve this hostname so I put it into the Windows hosts file and bingo, now the Windows console works again!

No idea why the windows client feels the need to try and resolve hostnames like this, any way to switch this off?

Thanks again :)

• :)

I don't know how to switch it off. I didn't have time to open a case on support ;)

You mentioned DataDomain.. Could you tell me more about performance, % of deduplication, deduplication of each type of data (vmware, oracle, file system), disadvantages and why not puredisk ?

marekk

• OK I might see about opening a support case then, it seems the Windows client was trying to resolve all hostnames belonging to the master server.  Strange.

The Data Domain units are great, they do block-level, inline de-duplication.  Our DD565's support up to 60 (I think) concurrent data streams, can't remember the data ingest rate but in NBU terms they back up data at about 2x the speed of LTO4, altho bearing in mind we don't have a dedicated backup network and our NBU server has only PCI NICs so with better master/media servers and more careful architecting they could probably go even faster.  There are also newer, faster models available now than we have.

In terms of compression, we see about 15x compression - currently we have about 83TB of data occupying 5.5TB of space post-dedupe on one unit, about the same on the other.  We have one unit at each site and they do block-level replication to each other outwith the backup window so we always have offsite copies too.

In general, they're very easy to use and I'm very happy with them.  I've never looked at PureDisk, what do you mean by that?