Zahid_Haseeb
14 years ago

Network initialization Failed. rc=3997697

Environment 
NBU Server = 7.0
BMR Client image = win2003 with SP2 R2

Error

I am trying to restore the BMR backup on a different hardware. I took BMR backup successfully.
I am booting from Network successfully but after booting while Starting Network Services BMR restore giving me the specified error. I have also added  the NIC driver of different hardware(Intel DG43NB motherboard with built-in LAN of giga speed) from Driver Package Wizard
  • Your client is based on win2003 with SP2 R2, where in 7.0 the BMR SRT is based on winpe 2.1 (win 2008). In this case if 2008 NW driver is not available in winpe 2.1 based SRT then "Network Initialization failure" may appear on SRT boot.
    Please check below technote similar to one issue.
    -Mandar

--------------
    Scenario:

Restores for Windows systems having Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC with DeviceId as VEN_14e4&DEV_165A, usingFastBoot restore method.

Issue:

Since driver ripped from Windows 2000/2003 machine for NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC” does NOT correctly loads in new BMR Restore environment (WinPE 2.1 - windows 2008 based), they need to be added in BMR externally, using “BMR Create Package” wizard, to correctly restore these systems.

Solution:

To correctly restore these windows systems, please follow these steps:

1. Download 32/64 bit Window 2008 based driver (of Client’s architecture) for “NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC” from broadcom’s website:

32-bit:
    http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_download/570x/win_vista_2k8_32-12.2.2.1.zip

64-bit:
    http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_download/570x/win_vista_2k8_x64-12.2.2.1.zip

Note: These links are for reference, they may or may not be accessible.

1. On the BMR-BootServer, run “Create Package” wizard under “Boot Server Administration” wizard and add this downloaded package by providing inf path and other driver details (select operating system as windows 2008).

1. Now for the target client and config select the SRT and run ‘Prepare to Restore’ again. This should add the required drivers to the SRT.

Now restore the Client using PXE boot or ISO (created out of above SRT). Client should successfully restore

19 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Trying to restore a win 2008 r2 client with bmr.  Getting network initialization error with same rc as above on boot from BMR CD.  Restoring to same hardware.  Using Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE.  How could I be missing a driver if I got the BMR backup successfully?  Because win2008 r2 srt doesn't have it?

If I do have to add a driver to the BMR database, how do I get it on the BMR bootable CD?  That is created from the SRT, which doesn't have drivers on it?

Thanks,

Kim 

• When did you created the SRT? Before backup or after taking backup?

If SRT is created before taking backup then the ripped driver might not have gone inside the SRT. In this case if you create a new SRT and then burn media out of it, your restore will work.

Please confirm this.

In order to debug this issue, many details are required like bundle.dat (client config), log files, DB query o/p etc.

So I recommend opening an SR ticket for this issue.

Thanks.

-Mandar

• I already tried creating a new win2008 x64 SRT and burned the iso from it to a new boot CD.  Got the same initialization error with new CD.  Where does the SRT get the list of drivers to use?  Do you have to do a prepare to restore first to load the drivers onto the SRT and then create the boot iso?

Thanks Mandar.  I did open case yesterday afternoon.

• >> Where does the SRT get the list of drivers to use? Do you have to do a prepare to restore first to load the drivers onto the SRT and then create the boot iso?

Oooopps, please do PTR and then create ISO. The driver wont go inside without doing PTR. Sorry that I have not stated this clearly in my earlier comment.

When PTR happens, BMR checks device list of the client configuration and finds out the latest winpe 2.1 compatible driver for that device in its DB repository. It add all such compatible drivers into the SRT.

Thanks.

-Mandar

• Hello,

Same problem for me, trying to restore on a HP bl460 G7

With nic: HP NC553i Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb Converged

Hardware IDS:

PCI\VEN_19A2&DEV_0710&SUBSYS_3315103C&REV_01
    PCI\VEN_19A2&DEV_0710&SUBSYS_3315103C
    PCI\VEN_19A2&DEV_0710&CC_020000
    PCI\VEN_19A2&DEV_0710&CC_0200

When booting from cd

The whole restore procedure works fine on a Bl460 g6.

setup:nbu 7.01

os win2008r2

• Hi Olson,

As per an article on web, It seems the RIS driver is present within the HP SmartStart Scripting Toolkit.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/core-management-100.html

Driver be2nd6x.inf under hpDrivers\Winpe30\nic\be2nd6x

We need to confirm with broadcom that if this driver is winpe 2.1 compatible or will be there be a winpe compatible driver available. We sent a query to them.

I will recommend you opening an SR ticket with Symantec on this issue. As deliverable will be an EEB plus some configuration steps.

THanks.

-Mandar