Forum Discussion

sunny_NB
Level 4
13 years ago

NEW STREAM concept

Can anyone tell me what does NEW STREAM defined in the backup selection list does when we backup unix and windows client?
    13 years ago

as I found to my cost, is for NDMP backups.

Whilst running NB5.1MPx the backup selection for our NDMP backups were thus:

/vol/vol1/A
    /vol/vol1/B
    /vol/vol1/C

Now with multiple data streams enabled on the policy this resulted in 3 separate jobs (& no parent process if I remember correctly). Now each could be dealt with as a separate job & cancelled with no impact on the others.

Following upgrade to NB6.5, the policy was not amended & what we found was that if we cancelled any of these job streams (queued or otherwise) then ALL jobs for that policy would get cancelled (again queued or otherwise) which was not good if an active stream was nearly complete at 1Tb for example!!

We were advised that the correct way to set up this particular policy was to introduce the NEW_STREAM directive thus:

NEW_STREAM
    /vol/vol1/A
    NEW_STREAM
    /vol/vol1/B
    NEW_STREAM
    /vol/vol1/C

***EDIT -  which meant that any job could be cancelled without any effect on any other currently running jobs from the same schedule - end of EDIT***

Now I'm not sure if this was just an issue with the 6.5 release, or 6.5 in general, but all my multiple data stream NDMP backups since then have had the NEW_STREAM directive implemented.