Forum Discussion

ipmanyak
Level 5
10 years ago

Optimal the cleaning frequency

Hello!

I need consultation. In Symantec Netbackup for the cleaning cartridge there is a parameter of cleaning frequency of 100 hours. Which hours mean? I use 18 tapes on which backups are writing  within a month. What best value I shall set in the cleaning frequency parameter?

• Personally I let the robots hadle the cleaning (ours were capable of it) - loaded a handful of clening tape and left them to it, removed old and added new as required. As far as what requests the cleaning, it is the firmware of the tape drive - it detects a decrease in performaance that will be un-noticeable to 'us' and sends out a tape alert. The library detects this (via comms between the drive and library) and then loads a cleaning tape .... or If the library cleaning is disaabled, the backup software detects the same tape alert and loads the cleaning tape. So effectivly, there is no difference between the two, only 'who' loads the tape. I guess one advantage of the backup software doing the cleaning is that way, the cleaning tapes are listed in the media, and it is slightly easier to see how many cleaning there are left - whereas you probably don't log into the libraries as often.

13 Replies