Forum Discussion

infopiotr
Level 4
11 years ago

Oracle Data-Guard restore issue

**** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-oracle-databases-configured-using-data-guard ****

Colleagues,

Good post, I encontered similar issue with using NBU for backing up standby Oracle DB, however main problem concerns restoring not backup.

My configuration is active-passive. Passive node is synchronized with primary DB by archive logs, I mean active DB sends archive logs to standby DB.

Backup is always made of active node, so I do not have the same problem like described at the beginning of this post. When I change the role of my two DBs, still active node is backed up in result of this I have some backup images coming from host A and some from host B for the same logical DB. When I want to restore NBU sees these images like two different DBs, not the same, probably due to fact that images are identified by two different hosts.

Using TDP provided by TSM this problem does not exist, so do you have any idea how to solve this in Netbqckup?

Regards

• The ideal is to have a virtual hostname associated with the active node.

This way the same hostname is always backed up.

I cannot comment on TSM, but in NBU all catalog info is stored by hostname.
    (If you navigate on the master server to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images, you will see a folder for each client name).

What you need is a 'redirected' restore.

The steps are listed in NBU for Oracle guide under the topic:

Redirecting a restore to a different client

1 Reply

• The ideal is to have a virtual hostname associated with the active node.

This way the same hostname is always backed up.

I cannot comment on TSM, but in NBU all catalog info is stored by hostname.
    (If you navigate on the master server to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images, you will see a folder for each client name).

What you need is a 'redirected' restore.

The steps are listed in NBU for Oracle guide under the topic:

Redirecting a restore to a different client