Forum Discussion

Flyinraptr
Level 5
14 years ago

OST media server config question ..

New implementation - Netbackup 7.0.1 on Windows 2003.  Have multiple Quantum DXi Storage devices in different geographic locations and the intent is to leverage OST to backup to a Quantum DXi in one location and via Storage Lifecycles Polices replicate the backup image to another location.  I have setup the Storage Servers and disk pools for each location and have configured the Storage units to only use the media servers in that specific location.   Doing a quick test via the Catalog - duplicate an image from one location to another - i see a message that 'All storage units must be connected to the same media server'.  Is this true with Storage LifeCycle Policies as well?   My understanding with Quantum is that the OST Optimized Duplication is off-loaded from the media server?

• Yes the OST Opt-Dup reduces workload on the NetBackup Media servers.  However, you need to let Media Servers from one site to be able to "see" both OST appliance so the SLP job can be established.

Here are the Opt-Dup requirements from NetBackup Shared Storage Guide:

• The vendor must expose the off-host data movement capability in their plug-in.
    • Both the source and the destination disk pools must be the same OpenStorage vendor type.
    • One or more NetBackup media servers must connect to the source appliance and the destination appliance.

Once the communication of both ends are established, the SLP data replications are done by the OST appliances.

I usually add all the OST appliances/storage_servers' credentials to the Prod site Media Servers so they can "see" both OST appliances, while the DR site Media Servers only have the DR site OST appliance's credentials, since the replication traffic is one way from Prod site to DR site.

Another thing you need to be aware - to avoid the primary backups (not the backup duplication/replication) across WAN to the remote site OST appliance, I selected "Only use the following media servers" in the OpenStorage STU and unselected the remote site media servers.

7 Replies

• Yes the OST Opt-Dup reduces workload on the NetBackup Media servers.  However, you need to let Media Servers from one site to be able to "see" both OST appliance so the SLP job can be established.

Here are the Opt-Dup requirements from NetBackup Shared Storage Guide:

• The vendor must expose the off-host data movement capability in their plug-in.
    • Both the source and the destination disk pools must be the same OpenStorage vendor type.
    • One or more NetBackup media servers must connect to the source appliance and the destination appliance.

Once the communication of both ends are established, the SLP data replications are done by the OST appliances.

I usually add all the OST appliances/storage_servers' credentials to the Prod site Media Servers so they can "see" both OST appliances, while the DR site Media Servers only have the DR site OST appliance's credentials, since the replication traffic is one way from Prod site to DR site.

Another thing you need to be aware - to avoid the primary backups (not the backup duplication/replication) across WAN to the remote site OST appliance, I selected "Only use the following media servers" in the OpenStorage STU and unselected the remote site media servers.

• I have the same configuration, but with Data Domain appliances.

I plan to use an alternate read server (located on the DR site) in my Lifecycle, to replicate backup from the Prod site to the DR site. By this way, I think restore from copy 2 (located on the DR site) will use automaticaly this media on the "good site" (instead of the media on the prod. site).

Do you think it is a good idea ?

Is there another way to do that ?

• Gdd, your plan is mostly correct.  The data will just be passed from one Data Domain device to the other; the Alternate Read Server will only be used to manage the OST duplication.  However, restores will be based on which copy is primary.  If you expire the image at the prod site after duplication, then the copy at the DR site will, indeed, be primary and all restores will take place from that copy.  But, if you are keeping the copy at the Prod site, the primary copy (used for all restores) will be determined by how you indent each line in the SLP window.

If you have multiple media servers that will write/read using the same OST devices, even if they are located at different locations, I would absolutely recommend you fill out the Alternate Read Server field in the SLP, even if you just want to use the same media server.

We found out that NetBackup will attempt "load balance" the duplication steps between OST devices, which means that if you have a media server at one location that is busy (backups or duplications), and another media server at an alternate location that is sitting idle, the logic built into the SLP will select the media server at the alternate location for a new duplication, EVEN IF THAT DUPLICATION IS TO TAPE AT THE OPPOSITE LOCATION, sending the data from the OST device across the WAN to the media server and then back to the media server that has the tape drives available.

• so the best configuration would be to have in the SLP definition:
    = a storage unit group with some local media servers for the backup
    = a storage unit group with some remote media servers as alternate media server for the duplication
    ... but I think, storage unit group is today not autorized as alternate media server

• do not use storage unit groups for duplication if you want to use optimized duplication.  Optimized duplication will not work with storage unit groups.   I learned this the hard way and then found :

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO36409&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1305658204878

where it says "Optimized duplication does not work with storage unit groups. If you use a storage unit group as a destination for optimized duplication, NetBackup uses regular duplication."

• Interesting restriction -Thanks for the reply.