Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Problem with Veritas Netback 6.5

Hello PPlz,

I am using Veritas Master Server 6.5 on linux and Media Server on separate machine running Windows Server 2003 attached with Dell PowerVault 220S (acting as my storage device and connected to media server). My backups are occuring successfully. Now the problem rises when i try to access the backups from master server.

I have selected BAR option from Master Server (linux) console selected the Media Server as My netbackup server, source client and destination client for restore. When i access the particular drive say "F" which is a separate partition on My Media server it gives error 25. Cannot connect on socket,

Any helps ???

Thankyou all in advance

• Your backup server must ALWAYS be the master server - that is where the image database is kept and where you want NBU to search for backed up client data.  Once you have made your restore selection, the master server will send the restore instruction to the media server.

The only reason why you have the opportunity to choose is when you have more than one master server in your environment like we have in our office. We have our production Windows master plus a clustered Solaris master server in a lab environment. When i open the BAR GUI on my laptop, I need to type in the name of the master server that I want to browse for images.

8 Replies

• Your backup server must ALWAYS be the master server - that is where the image database is kept and where you want NBU to search for backed up client data.  Once you have made your restore selection, the master server will send the restore instruction to the media server.

The only reason why you have the opportunity to choose is when you have more than one master server in your environment like we have in our office. We have our production Windows master plus a clustered Solaris master server in a lab environment. When i open the BAR GUI on my laptop, I need to type in the name of the master server that I want to browse for images.

• Marianne is correct, the "Server to use for backups and restores" must be the NBU master server, not the media server.  The interface then queries the master server for the lists of images for you to select.

• Thankyou Marianne and Ron for your reply, as a reference i am attaching the screenshot of my netbackup server console, ok agreed, if i select my master server (bkup) as shown in screenshot & select the source client and destination client for restore npcapp1 and npcapp2. But how do i tell veritas netbackup to search on which locations where my backups are lying. ? i-e. Browse Directory option. Specifically the thing is that i cannot see my backups from veritas either from master server or media server to restore which are being done peridocially as defined in the policy.

• So you master server is bkup and the client is npcapp1?

Put "/" (withouth the quotes) in then hit 'refresh'  

This should display all files and folder backed up in the selected period.

Please let us know....

• Marianne dats correct my master server is bkup, but you see i dont have any of the backup residing on my master server its all going on media server as mentioned in start of the thread, which is a separate machine running windows. However i have tried putting / without quotes and this time i dont got status code 25 but this time i got the error as pasted in the screenshot below. 

• Go check your /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images folder on your master (bkup). You should be able to see a folder for npcapp1. That is where the catalog info is stored. This is what you query in the BAR GUI. Only when the master server is able to locate the images for client npcapp1 will it send the restore instruction to the media server.

The 'no files found' means that for the criteria that you have specified, no backup images can be found.

Is the policy type for npcapp1 Standard? If this is a Windows client, the policy type should be 'MS-Windows-NT'.

Carefully check all search criteria - start with the client name - ensure that it matches exactly what is specified in the policy (which will also match the folder name in the images folder on your master). Next, confirm the policy type used for this client. The date range should be fine, since it covers quite a wide period.