Forum Discussion

baba20009
Level 4
11 years ago

Drive status shows AVR should be TLD

We have two HP tape Libraries in netbakcup 6.5.4.  Both libraries have two drives.  All 4 were working fine.  6 months ago I used Tape library 2 to utilize Acronis backup for a temp project. Now I ...
    11 years ago

So running the wizard as suggested in my first post should have worked - odd.

And in my second or third post, I suggested to just delete things if you still had issues - I have sometimes seen 'old' confg cause problems with re-running the wizard (sometimes does/ sometimes doesn't)

"When the robot was removed for your testing, was it deleted from NBU, or just unplugged ? It could be worth deleting the robot from NBU config and re-ruinnng the wizard, having first made sure the robot can be seen correctly from the OS."

This makes no sense:

"the problem was for some reason netbackup assign the same serial # to both tape libraries."

NBU does NOT assign serial numbers.- it is given the serial numbers by the devices themselves.

What also doesn't make sense is why scan showed the two libraries with the same serial numbers - scan has nothing to do with NetBackup - you can delete all the devices and scan will still work - it simply sends scsi commands to the devices found in the OS, and what is displayed on the screen, apart from a little formatting, is what is sent back from the devices.  So if something is missing, it's because it either didn't get the scsi command, or was unable to respond/ respond correctly.
    I'll prove it:

NBU Is stopped on my server - scan still works (just shows a single tape drive, no robot)

root@womble logs $ bpps -x
    NB Processes
    ------------

MM Processes
    ------------

Shared Symantec Processes
    -------------------------
        root 24199     1   0   Oct 16 ?           0:11 /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/pbx_exchange

root@womble logs $ scan
    *********************** SDT_TAPE    ************************
    *********************** SDT_CHANGER ************************
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Name  : "/dev/rmt/0cbn"
    Passthru Name: "/dev/sg/c1t3l0"
    Volume Header: ""
    Port: -1; Bus: -1; Target: -1; LUN: -1
    Inquiry    : "HP      Ultrium 1-SCSI  E38W"
    Vendor ID  : "HP      "
    Product ID : "Ultrium 1-SCSI  "
    Product Rev: "E38W"
    Serial Number: "HU74D01591"
    WWN          : ""
    WWN Id Type  : 0
    Device Identifier: "HP      Ultrium 1-SCSI  HU74D01591"
    Device Type    : SDT_TAPE
    NetBackup Drive Type: 3
    Removable      : Yes
    Device Supports: SCSI-3
    Flags : 0x0
    Reason: 0x0

The main thing sometimes is to not worry too much when things are now working.