Forum Discussion

H_Sharma
Level 6
10 years ago

Restoration Size

Hello Experts, I tried restoring 5 kb file from tape but could see it showed me 167410176 KB Current kilobytes read. What is this size since the file is 5 kb only? Thanks,
    10 years ago

I think that figure is the amount of data that had to be read (or skipped through) to locate the file that you wanted.  If you had chosen to restore a file which appears earlier in the 'backup image' then the figure displayed would be lower.  (I think).

10 years ago

Hey Harygan

Take a look at this tech note , I think you will find interesting

How "Maximum Fragment Size" for a Storage Unit affects backups and restores

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH15692

10 years ago
    Fragments are written after completing a file backup. So, for a 600GB backup image, fragment filemark will be written when it gets to 300GB after current file backup has completed. When you want to restore a particular file, NBU will know in which fragment the file was written, position to the fragment number and only read that 300GB fragment to find the file. Restores are much faster with smaller fragments, but will slow down backups when the fragments are too small. Backup is paused when the fragment is written. There are other posts on this forum that deals with recommended fragment size.